baby Eve born in under 3 hours!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babs76 Posts: 1000
Hi there - just said that i would share my fast birth story with you!! Baby Eve arrived a month ago today weighing in at 7lbs 2. I was 5 days over and went for a sweep that morning. I was 2cm at that stage but the gynae said it could be 12 hrs or even 2 days so i didnt really think any more about it - then went shopping with my mum for the day - my hubby works away from home and i was waiting for his arrival that evening. All day i was getting back back pains but didnt really think much of it - i arrived home about 5.30 in the eve and started cleaning the dish washer.......my hubby arrived home shortly after and made his dinner. I had been practicing hypnobirthing and had the cd's ready to go and had the birthing ball in the car - little did i know that i barely had time to get my labour nightie on not to mind sit on a bloody ball!! I went upstairs as i needed to go to the loo and i noticed that i was peeing for ages and when i stood up it didnt stop!!! needless to say my waters had broke. Got dressed, hubby finished his dinner and off we went. I was sitting in the ER waiting room for 20 mins - hubby wasbt left in due to vomiting bug restrictions~(I will never forget that Eastenders was on and there was a woman giving birth in a lift - didnt think it was very appropriate to have on in the waiting room of a maternity ward!!). Anyway - in i went and they hooked me up to the monitor - this was about 8 o' clock. I started getting contractions and they were coming very quick - at the time i didnt really know that they were coming quick (being a first time mum i hadnt a clue) but the midwife was amazed aqt how fast they were coming - she then did an internal after 20 mins and said that i was dialating fast. I was trying to breathe through the contractions, as i was in the ER room there was no Gas and Air and i didnt want pethidine so i just had to breathe through it. They eventually left my hubby in and all of a sudden i had this incredible urge to push....i couldnt believe it. They rushed me up to the ward at about 8.30 and Eve was born at 22.27!!! The gynae couldnt believe how fast it was for a first timer - everyone was amazed. Needless to say i didnt get the epi....i was 10 cms dialted before i knew what was happening. The gas and air was great but i got to consumed with taking it that i lost concentration on the pushing so eventually they had to use vacuum to get her out. As i say that was 4 weeks ago and little Eve, as the song goes is indeen the apple of my eye. All the doc's and my gynae told me to be very very careful the next time round as that birth will be even shorter - so much so that i might not make the hospital!! great experience and i guess one you cant really describe until you go through it yourself best of luck to the rest of you... Babs
MomToEmandJ Posts: 1977
wow Huge congrats, love the name, talk about a fast labour :eek fair play to you, you sounded calm throughout don't think i would be :o)ll :o)ll
volvic35 Posts: 1118
Babs thank you for sharing your birth story, what a beautiful name Eve.Congrats to you and your hubby
tipperarygal Posts: 482
Congrats Babs76. God it just goes to show we shouldn't wait that long to go to hospital if we live a distance away. Delighted to hear all went well and Eve is such a pretty name.
PrincessLea Posts: 436
Congratulations Babs!!! Go on, share! What did you do to manage such fast labour??! Any remedies? Pineapple? Raspberry leaf tea? (you know you could probably make up something horrible, like, eat 2 handfuls of grit every day, and I'd say a whole bunch of us here would do it! (I would!) :o0 Hope you and you're little family are doing well :wv
GentleBirth Posts: 750
Hi Babs, Delighted things went so well for you! Tracy