Menu

baby had tummy bug all wk, now refusing all bottles-

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Handymammy Posts: 1086
hi all, i posted last wk about my 6 month old who was not keeping anything down (think it was rotavirus). This went on for a week, but thankfully she did not get dehydrated as she would take small amounts of formula and would take water with diorlyte. However since Sat she started refusing formula so we bought lactose-free formula yesterday. and it seemed to work at first because she guzzled down a full bottle and kept it down. however as the day went on she took less and less water or formula from us. now this morning, she wont take anything and wont even take the water by spoon or syringe. What am I supposed to do with her? She seems to have tummy pains which probably explains why she does not want anything
mrspiggy Posts: 1289
Did you starve her for 24hrs last week and that includes no formula? If not she may still have a bit of a bug. With tummy bugs you really need to do a complete starvation (water/dioralyte only to be consumed) diet for 24hrs. If she's not taking anything I really would go to the doctor.
I have already been to the doctor with her twice this week (and 100euro!!) and each time the two doctors just checked that she was not dehydrated and told me she was better off at home if she not dehydrated. I know she is not dehydrated yet- but if this goes on all day she probably will be. Mrs Piggy I never heard that about starving her. Unfortunately that is not something I can do now if she is not taking the water. As it has gone on for a week I was so worried at the weekend about getting some formula into her as she is not eating solids yet so she has had nothing to give her energy since about Thursday. So was delighted yesterday when she took a bottle of formula. I have just tried distracting here with baby tv while syringing the water into her mouth but she just spat it all back out again!!
handymammy - if she is not taking anything at all I would be inclined to get her seen to. GP shouldn't really be charging (or at least should be reduced fee) as it is the same complaint you are bringing her for. Apart from the lack of food/fluid intake how is she in herself in general?
Thanks MrsPiggy. She is in good form this morning, but cries out every now and then with pain. I just spoke to my friend who is a PHN and she suggested giving her calpol first and then trying to give her liquid again. Hopefully this will work. I don't want to bring her to GP yet because they wont do anything until she is dehydrated. So if this continues all day I will bring her this evening.
Is there any chance she is teething and in pain with that if you think the tummy bug is gone? Hopefully the calpol has helped and you can at least get some water into her.
mamime Posts: 791
Just wondering why did you switch to a lactose free formula? Was she tested for being intolerant? Its just that babies can throw up formula for all sorts of reasons. was she always on lactose formula before the virus without problems? By any chance could it be reflux? she mustn't have had much in her tummy throughout the week from the virus and suddenly huge amounts of formula might be giving her some reflux? Also sometimes babies feel your stress.. is there someone else who could try give a bit of a bottle?
Delphinium Posts: 3027
I expect OP switched to lactose free as it is not unusual for babies to become temporarily lactose intolerant after spell of vomiting or diarrhoea. The enzyme lactase which they need to digest lactose gets flushed out of the gut and it takes a few weeks for them to build up enough to tolerate lactose again. My DS had a vomiting bug a month ago and he was throwing up his bottles even after we knew he was over the bug. His solids were staying down, he was hungry and otherwise in good form but the bottle was making him sick. GP told us to cut out all dairy including bottles, butter on bread etc. And to feed him only baby rice made with water, dry toast, potato etc. and only dioralyte to drink. We did this for 24 hrs but in the end he refused solids because he wasn't getting his formula. So we tried giving a bottle and it came straight up. We bought the lactose free and it worked. PHN said not to keep him on LF for more than 2 weeks and to wean him back to normal formula gradually. We did this an DS is fine now.
thanks for that Delphinium, very useful. Yeah that is why I switched to lactose free formula. The calpol worked and she has taken the water and diorlyte thankfully. Think she is hungry now so going to try a 1/2 strength bottle to see how that goes. Gosh this is a horrible bug. My DS has gotten it now, but thankfully only manifesting as horrible nappies and no vomiting
Delphinium Posts: 3027
We saw 2 different GP's with DS. The first advised half strength bottles but this did not work for us. We were back in after another day of throwing up. The second told us we shouldn't have been giving bottle at all after tummy bug and told us to cut the dairy from his diet. Diarrhea is a symptom of the same problem. Hope you get it figured for your LO soon. It's pure exhausting and worrying when you are going through it.