Baby Monitors Rec??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cpd Posts: 177
Hi All, Does anyone have a recommendation for baby monitors or are they all the same quality?? Tks as ever C x
*seahorse Posts: 1122
Hi C, {Personally I wouldn't bother. I had a Tomy one fopr my first baby & it used to pick up all the taxi radios, also it made u worry more, like when u couldn't hear anything, if ur baby cries u'll here them & if something else is wrong liklihood is u wont hear with or without a monitor. I had 3 in total with first baby & although they differed in price I would not recommend any of them. If ur really concerned Id' advise u get the one u can see the baby on.... HTH it's just my opinion on them - I hate them
Tks Seahorse - good to hear your opinion and now I'm wondering whether to bother. Am a bit concerned that I may become obssessed with listening to it and getting myself wound up, but on the other hand all my friends have them and find them great. H is mad to get them......hmmmm.....what to do.... :thnk C x
*seahorse Posts: 1122
I'm probably a bit OTT about them coz I just hate all that overly cautious stuff BUT having said that they are handy if u are going to be sitting out the back or u have a big house & may not hear baby..nothing to loose by getting one & see how u get on. When u due?
ros Posts: 749
We have a phillips and it's really good because you can also use it as a walkie talkie which is brilliant and a life saver to us as if one is upstairs and the other is downstiars and you forget something or need something you can just talk to one another instead of running down/upstairs or shouting up/down to each other. It's also very sensitive and has a volume control button which we turn down to the minimum at night so that we don't wake to every sound which is brilliant too.
Mrs Lucy06 Posts: 929
My hubby was telling me a friend of his has a baby monitor on the baby's cot, its like a web cam and you can see & hear the baby on a little monitor downstairs. he is very interested in getting one for us! He said they got theres in mothercare for about £70. Lucy
Tks all, Seahorse, am due August. We went on a shopping spree on Saurday and got lots of little bits for bathtime,etc so the monitors are/were next on list. H asked me to get a rec from here as he's mad keen to get them. ROS, can you tell me where you got the Philips monitors? Think I'll check them out :thnk C x
ros Posts: 749
Think DH got it in Mothercare or maybe even online will check and get back to you!
luigi Posts: 867
C, I totally recommend mine too. I wouldnt be without it and the reason is that when DS was a couple of weeks old a little baby died down the road from Cot-death and obviously it made me paranoid and checking him loads. We use the Tommee Tippee with the sensor mat underneath his mattress so it chirps with every breath he takes and it sounds an alarm if it doesnt sense mvement for 20 seconds. It wasnt dear- just bought from Argos. I did want the Angelcare, but our local shop didnt do it so I took this instead as it does the same thing, and for my own peace of mind it is invaluable.
Tks Luigi - my friend had recommended the Angel mat. Will check it out :thnk C x