baby monitors

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

shoegal Posts: 323
Just wondering what type to get? Where did you buy yours and how much did it cost / how did you pick one etc? Thanks
Gerbera Posts: 539
I have Tomy monitors and am using them on my second child at the moment. I've found them really good and never and never had a problem with them. The unit that sits in the baby's room is actually a figure of Winnie the Pooh which doubles as a night light and lullaby. Then the parent's unit can either be plugged into the wall or used with batteries if you're moving about the house. I got them in Smyth's in Galway but any of the shops like Mothercare, Debenhams etc would have them all ranging from 25euro up to 100 euro!
luigi Posts: 867
Hiya, I totally recommend buying one with a sensor mat- ours clicks quietly wiht every breath he takes. Its such a reassuarance and if there is no movement detected in 20 seconds an alarm goes off- the alarm has never gone off, but its so reassuring to hear the clicks when you are walking around doing housework. You can turn the noises off too and just watch the lights. It was onl a Tomy one too at around 50 stg.
minibride Posts: 74
Luigi - is that the Angel Monitor - I'm just about to buy one but Ive heard there are two types - one that is more modern than the other - does anyone know the difference??!
luigi Posts: 867
No, but the angel monitor is just the same thing. Angel was the one I wanted but We couldnt get the Angel monitor in Argos (we get Sis's discount in Argos as she works there! So I chose te Tomy one and it is essentially the same. Ive only ever seen the old one in action.
Ducky Posts: 2506
I just got the Angel as a pressie from a great friend who had one for her baby. She got it in Smyths
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
[img:3c38pf6d]http://images.ciao.com/iuk/images/products/normal/039/BT_Digital_Baby_Monitor_Plus__5668039.jpg[/img:3c38pf6d]
jellybaby Posts: 2316
We got the Angelcare monitor and find it great. In the first few days at home my baby was waking every 3-4 hours for feeding, but after that she started to sleep longer during the night....I remember jumping out of bed, nearly having a heart attack that she hadn't woken for food, thinking there was something wrong. Once we set up the monitor it gave great peace of mind, cos you know an alarm will go off if anything is wrong - and we know it works, cos if I have to take her up for a feed in the night, or early morning, I'm often half alseep and forget to switch the sensor off before taking her out of the cot :-8 , and the alarm goes off 20 seconds later. It still works like a normal monitor - you have the receiver that you can take from room to room with you, and you hear any noises from baby as well as having the sensor and alarm activated. We bought it in Smyths, cost about €85 but well worth it. HTH
minibride Posts: 74
Top 6 Baby Monitors From Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE, Your Guide to Pregnancy & Childbirth. Baby Monitors are used by millions of families every year to help watch over their newborns and older babies. As technology has come into the field the baby monitors have gotten a bit fancier and actually do more - from sensing movement, sound and even with visual monitors for watching over your newborn baby. Here are some of the monitors that I find to be very useful. 1) Graco Ultra Clear Monitor The Graco Ultra Clear Monitor offers two receivers that are lightweight. It has a 400 foot range and two channels to minimize interference. It runs on two 9 volt batteries. It's reasonably priced for average use. 2) Crisp and Clear Monitor This monitor has a rechargeable receiver. It uses the latest 900 MHz technology for clear reception. The receiver also will clip on your belt for mobility to about 400 feet. Sponsored Links Which? Online Review Advice on baby monitors And 100s more consumer topics 3) Graco Family Listen N Talk Monitor This monitor offers walkie-talkie features that allow you to listen and talk from each of the two receivers. It has the 900 MHz technology as well as an auto-channel selection feature. The receivers are AC powered or work on 9 volt batteries. This baby monitor also offers volume control. 4) Fisher-Price Calming Vibrations Monitor This Fisher-Price Monitor offers crystal clear reception with two channels to minimize interference from other machines. With a remote control you can listen & respond to your baby with calming vibrations & soothing sounds via a crib attachment. This baby monitor operates on 49 MHz technology. 5) Angelcare Baby Monitor The Angelcare baby monitor not only allows you to listen for your baby but also monitors your baby's movements via a sensor pad placed under your baby. This can alert you to a no movement felt if baby were to stop breathing. This unit acts as a sound monitor up to 200 feet with 2 channels to prevent interference. The receivers have adjustable volume control and uses sound lights to show baby's sound with volume turned off, or if the battery is low. Battery backup is used for the receivers. 6) Childview TV and Video Monitor Safety First offers this deluxe baby monitor that combines the ability to hear an visualize your child. You also have the option to listen and watch your child on a 5 inch black and white monitor. The monitor and camera run on AC adapters. The camera can be placed near the crib or wall mounted. Both are light weight and portable.