Baby Names

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Spoon Posts: 207
Hi Girls i was just wondering what you are thinking of calling you new babies? For a girl i like Ellie Grace Eva For a boy i like Conor Ryan After that i am lost..... please help me come up with something nice but not to common :o)ll
sunnyside Posts: 3164
I like Ryan and Grace. Have to say I have heard so many Eva Ava ellie ella (and various spellings of) lately that I'm sure there will be 10 in every class in primary schools in 5 years time. Although I do think they are lovely names. Pity they've gotten soooo popular.
Eris Posts: 870
If you're worried about giving your child a name that is too popular then Conor and Ryan probably aren't the way to go! If you look at the statistics released by the CSO over the past few years, you can see that Conor has been in the top 4 since the start of the millenium and Ryan has been climbing up the top 20 since then. They're both lovely names but it's likely that they'll be common enough for a few years to come. Ella (rather than Ellie) is popular - it made it into the top 10 in 2005. Grace is less popular but it's still been in the top 30 for a few years now and was 14th in 2005. Eva hovers around the middle of the top 100, but Ava's in the top 20 and Aoife's been in the top 5 for years. Why don't you think about what you like about these names - if you like Irish names or old-fashioned names or unusual names and check a few websites which classify names according to these criteria.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I really only have 1 of each that are sticking in my head and was trying to resist buying a book but think I will soon,I love Ryan and Jessica.
elmar06 Posts: 201
My husband wants the same name spelled differently - so, if it's a girl she'll be Kaci (or spelling to be amended depending on how people say it - think they might think it's pronounced Khaki! Any one think of a different spelling for it?) or if it's a boy he'll be Casey. What do people think - they're pronounced the same way. I did like them but think I might be having 2nd thoughts....they are different, though!
DublinGal Posts: 151
i love Emma, if we have a girl thats the top one. I also like rebecca. Haven't gotten any books yet though. My DH is called Christopher so if we have a boy, we may call him that after his daddy. Its a bit long though, thats the only thing I don't like about it. DH is called chris, but don't want my baby called chris. Haven't totally decided yet, also he likes Dillon.
Port Princess Posts: 1154
For girls names I have picked so far - Alyssa Meghan Sophie Madison Amy and for boys - Shane Gavin Corey Rhys
Bubski Posts: 1785
[quote="elmar06":96c97rtm]My husband wants the same name spelled differently - so, if it's a girl she'll be Kaci (or spelling to be amended depending on how people say it - think they might think it's pronounced Khaki! Any one think of a different spelling for it?) or if it's a boy he'll be Casey. What do people think - they're pronounced the same way. I did like them but think I might be having 2nd thoughts....they are different, though![/quote:96c97rtm] No offence to your hubby, but i just hate when ppl try to be different in the spelling of a name, at the end of the day people will only get it wrong and it is still the same. Coming from a call centre background its pure annoying. Just a personal pet peev of mine. Sorry if i offend. Anyway I love the name Bo for a girl (Ok so ye can all slag me now i havent ment anyone who likes this name only me & h2B)
luigi Posts: 867
I totally agree with you about the spellings Bubski; I have a friend called Carrie. Her parents spelled it "Carey" (which to all of use spells Kerry- dont you think?) But she gets really really annoyed when people call her Kerry... but thats how its spelled. Last night I was watching a wedding show and the girl called "Siobhan" was spelled "Chauvan".
aylala Posts: 3673
I think Bo is lovely Bubski Also like Lottie - no-one else does tho