Baby Nurse visits

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

FoxyLockz Posts: 2448
Hey ladies I know the baby nurses come out every so often to check babys progress and so on but i've been hearing a lot of stories lately and to be honest its scaring the bajaysus outta me. One story i've was told by my next door neighbour the other day. She has a 6 month old and she came out on one of her checkup visits and basically lectured her on how she prepared the bottles saying she was doing it wrong and another time she came out and the baby fell asleep in the bouncer and she was questioning why the baby wasn't put in his basket or cot for his naps. (this is to a mum of 3!!!) Now I'm sorry but I'm under the impression that they are there to check babys development and all that not to critisise how the baby is looked after. If some busy body came into my home and lectured and critisised me about how i care for my child I'd be arrested for my actions. It seems to me its more like they're there to check up on YOU and how YOU are doing things. I'll be constantly paranoid that i'd be reported for not using the proper blankets! Do you think there are too many guidelines these days that if you don't follow one to the letter you'll be publically flogged? I havent held a baby, fed a baby even looked after a baby for more than 2 hours in 11 years. I'm a nervous second time mum all becasue of these new ways of doing things, I'm scared sh1tless. Since when do babies come with step by step instructions?? For someone to tell me i'm doing it wrong would make me feel like complete crap! What are your thoughts on this and all these new "guidelines"?
gopro Posts: 1801
try to remember the PHN only gets 1 week maternity placement while training two of my friends are currently training I have heard of stories like described from my aunts and one ain't politely told PHN that she was the mother and the child was not been neglected so if there were no other issues she had chores to do.
pag Posts: 633
Firstly Yonex - sorry to disagree but that is completely untrue. Anyone doing the PHN nursing course who does not have a midwifery qualification has to do the Maternal and Child Health module which entails both theoretical work in college for a min of 3 weeks and then a min. placement of 6 weeks in a maternity hospital. They do not just have one week. FoxyLockx, the baby nurse is the public health nurse who is highly qualified and has a massive remit. They are not just there to check the development of the baby but to ensure that mum and home environment are ok too. They are there to ensure that Mum is coping ok after birth, with new baby, no postnatal depression etc as well as how the baby is developing. have you seen the new programme on RTE called The Nurse, it gives v good idea of the role of the PHN and what they do and say about families. Child protection and safety is part of their role. They will bring up issues such as making bottles or sleeping arrangements if they are not 'in line with the latest guidelines'. These guidelines are not just made up by the PHNs but usually come from international research and the HSE. Though I will admit some phns seem to have their own way of doing things. Bottles now should not all be made up in advance but made as needed. Bouncers like car seats should not be used for long naps as baby should be flat as much as possible for sleeps. if you are worried about being a second time mum, then tell them. Or alternatively you may actually find that they know you are a mum already and will just leave you alone after the first visit and you could be annoyed that they never come near you. Best advice I got was to tell them what they want to know and to decide if their advice worked for me and my baby - if not ignore it. SOme are very nice and some are PITA but they have a job to do and criticising your parenting skills isn't their mission even if it comes across like that.
gopro Posts: 1801
both of friends are only doin 1 week neither has EVER studied maternity before
jezabelle Posts: 607
Be lucky they call out, in my area they only call when the baby is 5days and then you call to them if you need/ want anything due to budget cuts because I was a 2nd time mum and my 1st was born 10 years before so it was like a 1st all over again. If they were so condescending to me I'd politely say my child my way, Ill take your comments on board and see what i can do! Personally tho i have always found them lovely if they told me to do something that I didnt believe in I'd say of course il do this and it would go in one ear and out the other.
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
The PHN only came to visit me twice. The day after I came out of hospital and then the day after DS came out of hospital (he had been in SCBU for a week). It was a different one both times. After that I brought DS to them for a check up. They never gave any lecture or anything. Actually the one who came for DS commented how wonder the Chicco polly magic highchair was as she had never seen one before :o0 :o0 :o0
marci Posts: 63
Never had any trouble with PHN who visited my following DD birth. She visited day after we arrived home for general check of baby and me and again at 3 months for developmental check of DD. She was lovely didn't question my parenting skills, gave me leaflet re child safety, answered any questions I had re baby or myself and overall I found her very supportive.
FoxyLockz Posts: 2448
Ah congrats ghostchild2 and Marci on your BFP's!!!
pag Posts: 633
[quote="yonex":25a57ivf]both of friends are only doin 1 week neither has EVER studied maternity before[/quote:25a57ivf] Where are they studying? I work in this area and if they are only doing one week their eligibity for registration with the nursing board could be jeopardised. They should really look into it very closely. Anyone without a previous midwifery qualification has to do eight weeks more study on the public health nursing courses.
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
[quote="FoxyLockz":3icakwkx]Ah congrats ghostchild2 and Marci on your BFP's!!![/quote:3icakwkx] Thank you :thnk