baby referred to as he/she in scan

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pie Posts: 61
Hi Girls, Just had my big scan at 26 weeks.. All went well but placenta is low lying, so might mean c section if it doesnt move up. Fingers crossed it does.. We choose not to find out the sex of baby, well I was cursious, but other half is adamant, and I wouldnt be able to hold the secret for the remaining time, without splilling the beans.. Anyway Doc was saying "oh baby kicking etc etc playing keep it upies"...when he said this i decided to listen carefully to how he referred to baby.. In the next sentence he said "there his little foot".. so now I am thinking I am having a boy.. Out of curosity do they normally refer to all babys in masceline gender or do you think he gave me a little hint by accident. Curosity just getting the best of me!
theoracle Posts: 7664
Well, on my last pg, one time the scan lady referred to the baby as 'he', and I thought it was a slip up, and then few weeks later as a 'she' so it still left me guessing! It was a 'she' in the end!
Mooches Posts: 875
Please don't be offended by the comparison but you know when you have a girl dog and if you meet people out on a walk and they say 'Oh [i:2abqb67q]he[/i:2abqb67q]'s lovely, what's [i:2abqb67q]his [/i:2abqb67q]name?' etc. because they had / have a boy dog..... think it could just be something similar. Someone on another similar thread a while back was wondering the same and then found out that the doctor had 3 sons and out of habit referred to all babies as males. I think I'd be the same as you though, trying to subtly do some detective work! Good luck with it all! :wv
Milis in disguise Posts: 727
Since someone else brought up the dog comparison, I'll keep it up! Our vet refers to all animals as 'he'. And my pretty little girl does not look anything like a 'he' :o0
chocbiscuitcake Posts: 658
I don't normally post here! My sister had the same on her child and was upset as she didn't want to find out. However, a midwife friend of hers told her that the practice was to refer to the baby as "he" to avoid any confusion with the mother, who would obviously be "she". No idea if this is scientific proof or not though!
fraggle rocker Posts: 1426
I felt very strongly that it was a boy from the beginning of my pregnancy. At our scan we said we didnt want to know. Anyway during it the girl slipped up and said oh look he is laughing and then scanned very fast away from between the legs. :o0 When I said is it a boy then, she said oh no I just refer to all babies as he. It was a boy!!!!!
Milis in disguise Posts: 727
[quote="chocbiscuitcake":3imwfz97]I don't normally post here! My sister had the same on her child and was upset as she didn't want to find out. However, a midwife friend of hers told her that the practice was to refer to the baby as "he" to avoid any confusion with the mother, who would obviously be "she". No idea if this is scientific proof or not though![/quote:3imwfz97] actually no that I think about it, my pregnancy book has this notion too!
Duncelt Posts: 460
At our 3d scan the same thing happened us - we said we didn't want to know and the girl referred to the baby as "he" - I just laughed as asked was it a slip up and she said no that she doesn't like to call the baby an "it" and always refers as boys - I think they should say so beforehand i.e. Before I even look i'm going to refer to baby as a boy.......... its 50/50 regardless
LMR Posts: 1925
It probably just a figure of speech. Both H and I refer to the baby as 'He' even though we don't know the sex, we just don't like to refer to the baby as 'it'. We asked our doctor if he knew what it was even though we didn't want to know and he said no, because if he looked there was a very good chance we'd see it as well and that would give the game away!
mrs mammy Posts: 1487
Our consultant only ever refers to our Lo as 'Your Baby' He seems very practiced not to ever slip up! It must be easy to let things slip though.