baby supplies for first few weeks how much and what brands

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mummyinlove10 Posts: 908
have worked out only 9 pay days left so i'm thinking it would be good idea to start getting nappies etc and baby toiletries stuff - know that they recommend only cotton wool and water initally but take it baby wipes can be used after a bit ?? the newborn nappies how many packs should you get for liek the first month or so like how many weeks are they likely to be in that size what baby wipes to get see they do papmers sensitve take it these are good for small babies what baby bath etc - oh the mind boggles at what we must think about just feel with the sudden drop in income it will be handy to have these items bulk bought in advance :wv never mind books on what to expect when your expecting think i'll bring out a consise manual on "what to buy when your expecting " :o0
Babymama12 Posts: 267
Hi Octomum I have bulk bought quite a lot. This is what I have got so far: 12 packs of Pampers wipes (also have lots of cotton wool for the first while). Johnstons starter essentials kit - this has so much in it - wipes, lotion, baby bath, sudocream, baby oil, sponge Huggies Nappies 1 box of newborn (100 nappies) and then a box of size 2 and 3 Infacol for colic (hoping this won't be an issue) Formula - Just one tub I got everything in Asda as I live up north and it was really cheap. They have a baby event on at the moment and there is some really good deals on things like nappies, wipes and formula. As for bath we bought one from Mama's and Papas for £16.00. I think it is called the Ergo and it does newborns and toddlers. Friends are buying us a changing unit with built in bath but I am going to keep this bath for MIL's house. I would recommend buying some stuff in bulk when it is on offer. Plus I feel more at ease knowing I have all my essentials ready for when baby comes home. Happy shopping :o)ll
mrswed0505 Posts: 444
I learnt these things after having DS one as i had some stuff I didn't use and gave away. For DS2 ( now 4 months) I didn't really bulk buy this is what I did 2nd time Nappies: if you want to bulk buy these only bulk buy size three. Buy packs of 1 or 2 as you need them as you are not sure what size you baby will be and they grow out of size1 and 2 very quick. As well you might not be happy with the brand you buy. Formula: i wouldn't bulk buy this until you know what brand suits your baby Wipes: you can never have enough of these. I find pamers extra sensitieve very good
corkgirl08 Posts: 175
I agree with Mrswed, this time I'm not going to bulk buy as much. But for reference I found in the beginning I used about a pack of wipes and one of those long rectangular packs of nappies per week. All babies will vary but that might help. On the other hand DD is now 10 and a half months and I'm still on the first thing of baby wash. I'd also buy a small tub of silcocks base which can be used to bath and moisturise if LO has dry skin. A lot of the midwives say to stay away from the Johnsons baby products cos they're not that 'natural' but you can't tell if that is going to be an issue for your LO but just in case maybe get an organic one. In the hospital the midwife who changed DD when I couldn't asked for wipes and luckily someone had brought in a packet of organic ones so it might be an idea to get a pack for the hospital, again just in case. If you decide not to use them on the baba they will be nice and refreshing for you. Another thing would be to maybe bring in the makeup remover cotton pads rather than the special baby cotton wool as bits don't come off them so easily.
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
know that they recommend only cotton wool and water initally but take it baby wipes can be used after a bit ?? [color=#FF0000:2oj1ljd3]We used cotton wool and preboiled water for first month or so but bought Pampers sensitve wipes for out and about. These are on offer in Boots are mo [/color:2oj1ljd3] the newborn nappies how many packs should you get for liek the first month or so like how many weeks are they likely to be in that size [color=#FF0000:2oj1ljd3]I bought 2 packets of size 1, 2 packets of size 2 and 2 packets of size 3 for initial use, keep the receipts, particularly for the size 1 as most shops will let you change them. Size 1 and Size 2 nappies were on offer in both Boots and Tesco last week[/color:2oj1ljd3] what baby wipes to get see they do papmers sensitve take it these are good for small babies [color=#FF0000:2oj1ljd3]So far i have only used Pamper Sensitive wipes[/color:2oj1ljd3] what baby bath etc - [color=#FF0000:2oj1ljd3]Baby baths are cheap in Smyths. Definitely recommend buy the spooge for bottom of it(can't remember what it's called as the intial baths are very scary [/color:2oj1ljd3] just feel with the sudden drop in income it will be handy to have these items bulk bought in advance [color=#FF0000:2oj1ljd3]I know how you feel, consistly looking out for bargains. This website is good for advice on where things are on offer[/color:2oj1ljd3] [color=#FF0000:2oj1ljd3]Formula - Wouldn't recommend bulk buying, to be honest I've neve seen it cheaper in bulk form as you dont' know what babs will or won't like. [/color:2oj1ljd3]