Bad Periods & messed up cycle

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Girls, I don't know whats going on with my body but for the last while my periods which I notice especially every second month is around 24 days! I take note of them on my calendar in work and its all over the place.I have it now (got it Sunday)and im still in agony,really bad pains.Am I abnormal? Would it be hormones or something and the tiredness is unreal :cry:
stinky Posts: 606
Dolly Dora, I am trying desperately here to remember what Gillian McKeith said bad periods can be a lack of - it could be zinc or potassium. I saw it on You are What you eat one day, there was a woman and she suffered from bad period pains and PMS and Gillian said to eat more X and it should help. Sorry, I haven't really helped you at all but maybe she has a website you could check. On the extremely unhealthy side I always find the three C's help enormously with the pain - Crisps, Chocolate & Coke
Thanks stinky,I must have a look at Gillians website. I like the idea of the three "C's" alright but I have eaten too much of all three lately :lol: :cry: Its like the older im getting the worse my monthly's are,my sis says she was around my age too when hers went mad :?
Its a Secret Posts: 178
Hi, I was the opposite and had up to a 40 day cycle. Are you off/on the pill? R u TTC? It's probably just one of those things. Keeping a note of your cycle is always a good thing anyway.
I came off the pill about 4 years ago,ttc soon please god...trying to get myself kinda sorted but finding it hard to track when im like this :?
Its a Secret Posts: 178
Dolly, Seriously mine were all over the place too. There are signs to tell you when you are fertile as I'm sure you know from this site. So follow them, keep track of your cycle and if nothing happens after 6-12 months then go to the doc!
boobies Posts: 1625
two words.... Agnus Castus... I know I keep harping on about these tabs but they are made me into a new woman!! Gillian recommends them in her book too
[quote:1sn5q24r]two words.... Agnus Castus... I know I keep harping on about these tabs but they are made me into a new woman!! Gillian recommends them in her book too[/quote:1sn5q24r] I haven't heard you harping on at all,what are they and where can I get them boobies?
You can get it in any health shop. From day one I have been in agony with my period, had scans, test you name it. Doc's did nothin for me. So I decided to try the herbal route. I have been taking these for about 4 months now. I still get the breast tenderness and the odd twinge but at least I can get out of bed and not have to come home from work in agony. I really hope they stay working for me!! Here is more info for ya! The common name of this herb is Agnus Castus. It is not a cactus (it is sometimes mis-pronounced "Agnus Cactus"), but a member of the Verbena family. The name 'Agnus Castus' derives from the Greek for 'chaste'. According to Pliny, writing in the first century, Greek women wishing to preserve their chastity placed leaves of this plant on their beds and slept on them. Pliny's contemporary, Dioscorides, claimed that Agnus Castus preserved chastity because it smells so bad that, when strewn on the bed, it was enough to deter amorous advances from men! Agnus Castus was certainly used widely by the ancient herbalists. Dioscorides even concurrs with its current uses; "it both brings down the milk and expels the menstrua". Although not a native plant of the UK, records indicate that it was in use here by 1500. It is then mentioned in Gerard's herbal in the seventeenth century. Until recent years, though, you would have difficulty finding much written in UK herb books about Agnus Castus. It is in the rest of Europe that the herb has had the most use over the past century. Only in the last ten years has it become popular again in the UK - and, now, in America. USES OF AGNUS CASTUS The herb is mainly known as a remedy used by women. I will concentrate on its effects for PMT and menopause - its main uses today. The effect it has on female hormones is largely a balancing effect. This 'normalising' influence makes it useful in a wide range of situations. And it can be helpful for a large proportion of the time - some studies indicate improvments in symptoms for 90% of sufferers from PMT. PMT - Agnus Castus can improve; Headache Breast tenderness Fatigue Bloating Anxiety and other similar psychological symptoms Irregular cycle Short or long cycle MENOPAUSE - Agnus Castus can improve; Night sweats Hot flushes (flashes) Fatigue Although Agnus Castus is recommended by several sources for increasing breast milk - as referred to by Dioscorides - I have come across little evidence for this. DOSAGE Raw herb (powdered whole berry): 1-2 grammes (2-4 capsules) daily. Fluid Extract: 20-40 drops, Tincture: 60-120 drops (about 1-2 teaspoonsful, or 3-6ml). Or follow the instructions on any proprietory pack of an Agnus Castus product being used. Agnus Castus is usually taken as a single dose first thing in the morning. This is the best time to influence the Pituitary gland - which apears to be the main target of the herb. Results of using Agnus Castus are often seen within a few weeks. However, if you see no change, don't give up until you have taken it through two periods, if taking it for PMT; or for two months otherwise. If you begin to obtain benefits, continue using Agnus Castus for 4-6 months, then reduce the dose by half for a few weeks. If the improvement is maintained, leave off altogether. If symptoms return, restore the previous dosage, and continue for a further 2-3 months. If the symptoms keep returning when you try to wean yourself off the herb, see a qualified practitioner in alternative therapy. The Agnus Castus may be a useful 'crutch' for you - but you probably need professional help in treating a more fundamental imbalance. COMBINATIONS You may also see Agnus Castus combined with other herbs in combination products. It often happens that a combination of herbs will be more effective than a single herb. There are a number of proprietory examples of formulations for women which include Agnus Castus. Find a product which works for you - either the single herb or a combination of herbs - and then continue with it for a full course of treatment. CAUTIONS Do not take Agnus Castus during pregnancy; and it would be wise to avoid it when taking any other product or drug which affects the female hormone system - such as HRT or the contraceptive pill. Reports of negative reactions to Agnus Castus are few. About one in 50 people may experience mild indigestion, or a mild skin rash. If this happens, stop taking the herb, temporarily, then re-introduce it more slowly. KEEPING A RECORD OF YOUR HEALTH As always where your health is concerned - keep a record. Note in a diary how you are feeling when taking Agnus Castus or an Agnus Castus combination. This is often very useful when deciding how beneficial a treatment has been. It can also be helpful information for a practitioner, should you consult one. We will come back to the subject of herbs particularly for women in the future. Agnus Castus is certainly one of the the major single herbs in this category.
[quote:3jongcfn]CAUTIONS Do not take Agnus Castus during pregnancy; and it would be wise to avoid it when taking any other product or drug which affects the female hormone system - such as HRT or the contraceptive pill. [quote:3jongcfn] Just read over your post and I see your trying for a baby. Maybe ask someone in the health shop about it. Really hope you get sorted, I know how horrible it is.....[/quote:3jongcfn][/quote:3jongcfn]