bagged salad

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cherrybowl Posts: 4
So I'm 8 weeks pregnant, and my doc has told me that if I'm eating bagged salad, I should only eat from a newly-opened bag: if the bag is open, I shouldn't touch it again. She said it's something about listeria poisoning. To be honest, though, I'm a bit confused by this: has anyone else heard this? I love bagged salad, and my hubbie doesn't eat it, so if I don't finish a bag, it's such a waste! oh, and she also said that the same applies to packaged meats: if I open a package of ham, I can only eat from a freshly opened package. I'm half tempted to just ignore her, but then the fear! what if I did something to the little baby?
theoracle Posts: 7664
1st I hear of this! If you wash the salad, it should be perfectly fine. As for ham from teh packet etc I always do the 'sniff' test - if it smells fresh I eat it. A bit OTT what she is suggested I would say. I love bagged salad too and had loads in this and all my other pregnancies, and of course ham too and and and...
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
[quote="theoracle":38zdg1ne]1st I hear of this! If you wash the salad, it should be perfectly fine. As for ham from teh packet etc I always do the 'sniff' test - if it smells fresh I eat it. A bit OTT what she is suggested I would say. I love bagged salad too and had loads in this and all my other pregnancies, and of course ham too and and and...[/quote:38zdg1ne] + 1 I eat salad all the time? Just give it a wash if you are worried. Def go with the sniff test on the ham etc... just don't eat any cured meats as everything needs to be cooked through!!!
cherrybowl Posts: 4
Thanks girls! I did think that it was a bit odd alright!
kala Posts: 1937
if its lettuce based i usually soak it in milton for 15 mins. it kills everything. when i was preg on ds3 i'd just eaten cucumber and that evening it broke in the news about ecoli posioning in contaminated cucumbers- one bloody time i'd eaten a cucumber and i rarely ate them. look you have to be careful about everything you eat in pregnancy but within reason. if in doubt chuck it out/leave it out.
starbell Posts: 267
I eat bagged salad all the time its been washed already so I have never even considered rinsing it. so far so good. it seems a little ott to be throwing out every packet once opened.
noc Posts: 1802
As far as I can make out the only way to stay totally 'safe' from listeria etc. is not to eat anything at all. But of course, not getting good nutrition is [i:24quuguz]way[/i:24quuguz] more risky for your baby. You need to weigh up the pros and cons. There's a lot of completely scaremongering and OTT advice circulating on the internet about food during pregnancy - most of it from US sites I find where food safety standards may be different, and also things are a lot more litigious so people just try to play safe by only advising what is usually impractical, difficult and unrealistic for pregnant women to follow on a daily basis. I was afraid of salads too when I was first pregnant because everytime I wasn't sure whether something was safe or not, I'd look it up on the internet and, more often than not, I'd find some people saying how it wasn't safe at all. O:| :duh: I ended up feeling miserable and even more sick than I would normally have been because I was only eating things like takeaway soup for lunch that was probably full or salt and things anyway and smelled really strong and made me feel a bit bleuugh. Eventually I just cracked because the only thing that made me start to feel better was eating cold, fresh, nutritious salads and sandwiches again and I haven't looked back. So far things are fine and the baby (thankfully) is doing great. I think, now I know a bit better, that the best thing is just to avoid the culprits that turn up on all dangerous foods lists for pregnant women in Ireland, UK and elsewhere. These are soft/ mouldy and unpasteurised cheeses, all pat├ęs, liver (well, to avoid eating too much of it anyway), raw or undercooked meat or seafood, raw or undercooked eggs and to avoid alcohol or too much caffeine. After that I think you should just use your own judgement and good food hygiene. If it looks slimey, is only luke warm/ has been sitting out for too long, smells bad or just seems unappetising then give it a miss. You would have to be very unlucky to have any problems if you follow those basic rules. The baby (and you) will benefit if you maintain as wide and balanced a diet as possible within reason.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
[quote="kala":21btnye3]if its lettuce based i usually soak it in milton for 15 mins. it kills everything. when i was preg on ds3 i'd just eaten cucumber and that evening it broke in the news about ecoli posioning in contaminated cucumbers- one bloody time i'd eaten a cucumber and i rarely ate them. look you have to be careful about everything you eat in pregnancy but within reason. if in doubt chuck it out/leave it out.[/quote:21btnye3] Gosh, not trying to offend you or anything but I think that's excessive. Does your salad not taste like Milton?
kala Posts: 1937
Regina its completely fine and safe- no taste what so ever from it. sure if you soak babies bottles in milton you're not supposed to rinse them. i jut make sure to rinse the lettuce a few times. i'd rather be safe than sorry. at least them if i find any ufo's in the side i know i'm grand. peace of mind really more than anything - i'm very paranoid about what i eat during pregnancy.