Menu

Baking your own Wedding Cake

Go to DIY

SophieCollinsToBe
New Wolly

Baking your own Wedding Cake

Postby SophieCollinsToBe » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi Ladies,

My OH and I have decided to make our own wedding cake, to save money and to have a better variety of flavours. I'm a keen baker myself, so I'm not so worried about it baking well, but it's still a big task and a lot to take on the week before the wedding (early July this year)! I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this before? I'm concerned about transporting it to the venue, the best way to securely construct it and if advise on the best recipes to use and any other helpful advise and tips!
We want to bake a 3 tier cake, each tear a different type. Any ideas?

Also, how the heck do you get your ticker to show up?!

poppingcandy
Major Wolly

Re: Baking your own Wedding Cake

Postby poppingcandy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:56 pm

I will be interested in the replies on this one too, I am planning on doing the same myself.
I was thinking of maybe making one of the tiers in advance and freezing it, best I think would be a chocolate biscuit cake.
Also, maybe a small fruit tier, this aswell can be made in advance and is a crowd pleaser for some of the older folk.

SophieCollinsToBe
New Wolly

Postby SophieCollinsToBe » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi Springsbride2014,

I'm glad I'm not alone in this! I started practising yesterday, I made a velvet cake (thinking about it for the top tier), I still need to fill it and ice it. I've frozen sponges before, I've kept them up to a week and they've still been perfect, plus they're easier to ice when they're cold.

I was thinking of the biscuit cake for the bottom tier, so it'll be dense enough to support the higher layer, but I've never made one before. Any tips?

The past few weddings I've been to, no one really touched the fruit cake, but maybe I just didn't notice... Do you really think it's a crowd pleaser?

poppingcandy
Major Wolly

Postby poppingcandy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Well for the older guests it will be, but it will be a bit heavy so prob need it as the second tier and the velvet as top, but you would def have more takers for the velvet... So maybe scrap the fruit cake!

I use this recipe for choc biscuit cake:

http://www.odlums.ie/recipes/cakes/choc ... cuit-cake/

BUT I don't use the shamrock fruit, in place I just put in raisins & marshmallows, and I also use double the amount of maltesers :-8

Do you have a good reciepe for the velvet cake? I have tried three and I haven't been too happy with any of them.

SophieCollinsToBe
New Wolly

Postby SophieCollinsToBe » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Ooo, that looks lovely. I'll definitely try that, thank you!

I've tried a few different velvet recipes, my favourite is Rachel Allen's (sorry, they won't let me put in the link, they say it "looks too spamy", but you can get it on the RTE website).
Only I add about double the cocoa powder and about 2.5 times the red food colouring to combat the extra brown colour from the cocoa and make it extra red.
The trick to keep it light is being so careful and delicate when folding in the egg white!

How many tiers are you planning?

poppingcandy
Major Wolly

Postby poppingcandy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:47 pm

That's great, thanks very much. Will give it a try this weekend.
I was thinking of three tiers but red velvet it my favourite so I might go with a large choc biscuit cake base, then two tiers of red velet, or one red velvet and one chocolate sponge.. Keep it safe!
Dreading the icing!! I love baking but icing is another issue!!

Jennies Invitations
Bmaris
New Wolly

Postby Bmaris » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:29 am

If you're going to make a stacked cake make sure you dowel it. There are loads of videos on YouTube on dowelling a cake, make sure you choose a UK rather US one as they dowel cakes differently in the US . If a cake is doweled properly you can generally stack the tiers in any order.
On transporting the cake , you need to put it an empty boot , preferably with a non stick mat underneath the box (Aldi/Lidl often sell these as non slip mats for under rugs) do not put the cake on a seat in the car.
If the cake is sugar pasted you must make sure that it is kept in a cool place but NOT IN THE FRIDGE , the sugarpaste will melt in a fridge -will turn sticky/gooey.
And finally if you're going to go with Red Velvet don't use a cream cheese buttercream, the cake will be out for a long period of time and the risk of spoiling is too great. Cream cheese is on a par with Fresh Cream when it comes to food safety. You can get flavoured oils/emulsions from cake decorating shops that you add to buttercream which are very effective & realistic. Good luck ladies.

SophieCollinsToBe
New Wolly

Postby SophieCollinsToBe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:49 am

Yes, I've been looking at dowelling - I'll definately dowel the cake. I finished a trial cake over the weekend - the cake itself was perfect, but the icing was a disaster! I used a swiss buttercream and it just didn't spread well or set well. Perhaps it was just the recipe I used... Any advice on the icing? I'd like to stay away from fondant icing as much as possible, I'm not a fan and it's just so over done!

Fruice
Major Wolly

Postby Fruice » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:29 am

SophieCollins Swiss Meringue won't set well. The most it will set is now in winter, if your wedding is in Spring or Summer you will have a melty messy cake if you try to cover it in just SMBC. The reason sugarpaste ("fondant") is "overdone" is because it's practical, durable, keeps the cake cool & fresh, and means the cake can be ready a few days before if needed as it seals it in, buttercream would need to be done the day before the wedding at the latest really.

You need to use a regular buttercream (butter, icing sugar) if you want it to set at all.

Bmaris
New Wolly

Postby Bmaris » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:42 pm

I second what Fruice says. Definitely better to use regular butter icing if that's the look you're trying to achieve however I wouldn't trust it in July. Is it a more rustic look you're trying to achieve or the smooth look of the US style 'buttercream' cakes? If it's the smooth style well then they use a considerable amount of shortening (a white fat) like Trex and then add a butter flavour to it. I made a batch , just to see what it was like and I personally hated the taste and texture of it , it left a greasy coating in my mouth.

Next

Go to DIY