BALLYBEG HOUSE, Co. Wicklow

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LisaMac Posts: 7
Hi Myself and my fiance were interested in looking at Ballybeg as a possible venue so we emailed and were asked to call a guy there, Paddy which we did, he asked us to come to see the venue last saturday at 11 o'clock. Now we only live in Dublin but its a fair old drive but we made sure we arrived on time. When we arrived we were greeted by a man who ushered us to park but then when my fiance put out his hand to introduce us, the man just walked off muttering to go on up. So we started to stroll up, thinking that the 'paddy' we were to meet would be up there somewhere. Hwever when we got nearer we saw a father of the bride and about three flowergirls so we hastily retreated, absolutley sure that now was not the time to go up. We asked another employee where we could find Paddy and he pointed at the guy who had been so odd when we'd arrived. So we approached him, I said excuse me about four times before he even looked at me (he was checking the wheels on his car) and then I said "Sorry we have an appointment" Heres where it gets weird! He said "Well how was I to know who ye were?" We pointed out that he hadn't given us a chance and he said "well I'm very busy now" We pointed out that it was he that had made the appointment for now, and asked for an indicator of how long we might be waiting. He said he couldn't say and said "Ye can wait till I'm ready or go home"!!!! We said that we had driven all the way on his suggestion and he said " the only people that are important to me today are the bride and groom up there so you can wait or go home"!!! I pointed out that we didn't expect to be put before the bride but that we couldn't wait indefinately and if he could estimate how long.... he interrupted and said "I don't know so you may as well go home" - we began to retreat and I said "we'll go then" and guess what he said!! He actually said "Good because I didn't like the look of you anyway"!!!!!!!! The look of us! My HTB was in a teeshirt and trackpants and I was in jeans and a cardigan...??? It was a SATURDAY! We're both well spoken and nice enough looking - what on earth put him off? It couldn't have been the 0ne year old in my husbands arms - do you think? What a snob! I wouldn't deal with Ballybeg in a fit - we obviously aren't their preferred clientele anyway!
Valkstar Posts: 2747
First I have to ask....why post this 3 times and your first 3 posts too? I got married in Ballybeg in July and didn't experience any of the negative stuff you said. Paddy was lovely...so helpful and accommodating. Now, I've been down there a good few times, and they never made appointments for viewings on a Saturday..it was usually Thursday because there would be a wedding on the Friday or Saturday. We usually met up with Dominique and were pretty much left to look around on our own unless we needed help, then all we had to do was ask. That way there was no pressure to book anything. On the weekend of our wedding, Paddy and Dominique couldn't do enough for us, so they do put the bride and groom first on their weekend...nothing wrong with that at all. That's the way it should be. As for being a snob :o0 we turned up for a first viewing with our parents who drove down, and h2b and I turned up on our bikes...me with my leathers and h2b in his manky work clothes cos he came straight from there. We had no issues with snobbery at all!
listen i wanted to give my impression of ballybeg and I have. I have no doubt the weddings there are brilliant, however our experience is as valid and deserving of report. Paddy was an absolute A**hole to us. Just because he was nice to you doesn't mean our experience isn't valid. We are nice people, we came when he told us to come (I can't get what your point is about that) and he was a Sh*t to us. We've no doubt he is wonderful to those he "likes the look of". Oh and I posted this because I am still extremely upset by our treatment as you would have been. In this day and age there is just no excuse for rudeness.
Valkstar Posts: 2747
[quote="LisaMac":2grbx7q1]listen i wanted to give my impression of ballybeg and I have. I have no doubt the weddings there are brilliant, however our experience is as valid and deserving of report. Paddy was an absolute A**hole to us. Just because he was nice to you doesn't mean our experience isn't valid. We are nice people, we came when he told us to come (I can't get what your point is about that) and he was a Sh*t to us. We've no doubt he is wonderful to those he "likes the look of". Oh and I posted this because I am still extremely upset by our treatment as you would have been. In this day and age there is just no excuse for rudeness.[/quote:2grbx7q1] And I'm just posting to give my impression of Ballybeg! Is my point of view not as valid?
Ficidy Posts: 1753
Ok, I felt sorry for you the FIRST time I read this post. Now I've noticed that all you've done is come on to WOL to berate Ballybeg. Hmm, the competition I wonder??!!! I also wonder (as Valkstar said) how come you said you went there on a Saturday as the last time I was in Bbeg Dominique told me that they're not showing couples around on a Saturday anymore - and this was months ago!!! Maybe you're just jealous of the rest of us getting married in such a perfect location!!!! :o0
shobie Posts: 1437
Sorry but I have serious trouble believing Paddy to be rude. Sorry but any dealings I have had with him and Dominique have shown them both,but Paddy in particular to be polite, accomodating and very very friendly. Maybe there was an error in communication and a mistake made about the day of the viewing as like Ficidy said they dont do viewings on a saturday when they are hosting a wedding. Sure it doesnt make sense to when its a private house. Nope, Im not having it, I :lvs Paddy!
Ficidy Posts: 1753
[quote="shobie":2oi20pl5]Sorry but I have serious trouble believing Paddy to be rude. Sorry but any dealings I have had with him and Dominique have shown them both,but Paddy in particular to be polite, accomodating and very very friendly. Maybe there was an error in communication and a mistake made about the day of the viewing as like Ficidy said they dont do viewings on a saturday when they are hosting a wedding. Sure it doesnt make sense to when its a private house. [b:2oi20pl5]Nope, Im not having it, I :lvs Paddy![/b:2oi20pl5][/quote:2oi20pl5] Haha nice one Shobie! :wv
Okay Ladies, first of all Forums are there to allow people to vent frustrations that they have had so don't take it so personally. I came on here to give Ballybeg a BAD REVIEW - that was the point of looking for a Forum, because unlike you I don't spend my time chatting to strangers about weddings on wedding websites (some of you, a year !! later) Ballybeg made an appointment with us for a saturday, because they wanted us (according to them) to see the place done for a wedding. The fact that you know or remember so much about the venue from your wedding makes me uncomfortable beyond belief. As I said, I have no doubt that Ballybeg are great, but remember you paid them 7000 for the service!! You mustn't confuse their service for actual friendship. As I have said, I came on here purposefully to tell my story of bad treatment in Ballybeg. That is all, as I have a life I doubt I will be back so Good luck with your future. Hope you can let go of your wedding day soon, and get on with your life xxx
shobie Posts: 1437
Oh get over yourself, FYI most of us who replied havent been married yet. :wv
NickyNin Posts: 56
I think you should post bad reviews - it would save people going all the way down there. I rang Paddy three weeks ago - we HAD an appointment on Saturday to visit Ballybeg, he was supposed to call back to confirm a time and never did! I did ring him a few times and I didn't hear anything back. He Finally rang last Thursday and I went down - we waited half an hour and he never showed and we weren't the only people waiting. There was no wedding on so he had no excuse just not to show. I couldn't deal with that sort of incompetence. Very Disappointing >:o(