Bedding for babies

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

keabea Posts: 148
Hi I was planning to go out and get moses basket this weekend, as time is ticking along (8 wks to go!!) and i've very little done. I had a quick look in one or two shops last weekend, and I'm very confused about what I should be getting for baby to sleep in. I had planned to use grobags, but can babies go in them from birth? Or should I be using cellular blankets etc instead? Can anyone tell me what bedding they're using / how many sheets, blankets/grobags etc i should be getting? Also so many moses baskets come with these little cover things that go over them iykwim, do they stay on the moses basket when baby is in it? i can't help thinking it would be very hot? thanks, sorry for all the questions, its ridiculous how clueless i am :-8
theoracle Posts: 7664
If you are using a moses basket I would start with swaddling the baby and once baby is moving to cot use grobags. Normally they recoomend a grobag to be used once baby is over 10lbs, but besides that I find a grobag sort of fills out the moses as they tend to be a good bit longer than the baby. A couple of cellular blankets and a couple of normal blankets should do you + fitted sheets for moses. Spare blankets are needed in case of baby puke etc, you might be washing a lot. I never used the cover thingy from the moses.
keabea Posts: 148
Thanks so much for that Oracle. What age do they move into the cot at? 2months?
theoracle Posts: 7664
It depends on what you want to do - some people go straight to the cot, and it also depends on the size of the baby - I had max of 10 weeks out of a moses, and on dd3 I went straight to cot after 6 weeks - she was a big baby!