Menu

Being let go and dole ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jims Doll Posts: 356
Hi Ladies, Just been told i will prob be let go come the end of jan. Trying to get my head around this, waiting for it to be put into writing before i freak altogether. How much do you get on the dole since the budget (i havent a bloody clue about stuff like this) If i was married to my partner would he get my tax credits and would we be better off. Anyone got any help on this. Thanks again.
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
Sorry to hear that you are being left go :o( It's €188 per week. If I were you, try and get all the paper work done if you can as soon as possible. If you were married, yes your hubbie2be would get your tax credits. HTH :wv
Jims Doll Posts: 356
Thanks Flexydee, I know its hitting everyone and i was kinda expecting it, but still it is a shock. The one good thing is we had already postponed the wedding till 2012 so dont have to worry about that for a while.
Twirl Posts: 5598
Your poor thing, im so sorry to hear this :action32 Yes its €188 a week, i really dont know why you cant give your H2b your tax credits, i was the same when i was out of work and yet after i had an accident a few years back and couldnt work for a while for me claiming i was assessed on hubbys wages. So while it doesnt make sense it happens. You cant claim for the 1st 3 days and make sure you have 2 ID's and your P45, go down as soon as you are let go. Really sorry to hear this.
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
Sorry to hear your news JimsDoll, my suggestion is once you get the bad news go and talk to your local SW office who can advise you. I did that last year when I lost my job and they couldn't have been nicer to me. Also, talk to the Citizens' Advice Bureau as they'll have plenty of info for you on losing your job and your entitlements etc. Will you be getting any redundancy? That's tax-free so SW don't count it and also you won't be means tested for dole until you've use up all your PRSI stamps/contributions. Try to enjoy Christmas though - it might not be as bad as it seems, the worst bit is the anticipation of it :action32
buddylove Posts: 3288
Jims doll...Have no advice cos Im clueless but I just wanted to say I was sorry you got such bad news coming up to xmas. Im unsure about my job as well but am trying not to let it get me down. You would never know whats around the corner for you and see it as an opportunity and try not to let it get you down. (Easier said than done but this is the advice OH gave me).
Service Finder
MrsAH Posts: 3715
Oh Jims Doll, I'm really sorry and I feel your pain. I'm being let go (again) on Thursday (Merry Christmas), then the cheeky so and sos want to rehire me for a week or two in Jan (won't get paid the public holidays natch) and then let me go again. It's a crappy time of year for it to happen. This is the third time for me in three years (I work in a volatile industry) and I've had enough. So I'm using this time to start a course in something I've wanted to do for a long while now. You aren't alone, if that makes you feel any better. Big hugs :action32
buddylove Posts: 3288
oh mrsah... thats crappy!! And so close to your wedding... BUT youre right to use the opportunity to retrain. i have decided to do the same if i let go. (if i dont Im gonna do something by night anyways). Hope it all works out for you.
LastRolo Posts: 6892
The full rate is €188. Have you paid enough contributions (stamps) to be eligible for Jobseekers Benefit?? Otherwise, you will have to claim Jobseekers Allowence, which is means tested and if you live with your partner, his wages will be assessed. Yes, if you and your partner was married - he could claim your tax credits but as you aren't married it cannot be done.
trance Posts: 3129
Sorry to hear your news Jims Doll, if you aren't married yet he can't claim your tax credits, stupid but true.