Berlin for Christmas Markets

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Hello lovely Knowledgeable ladies!! Anyone been to Berlin or Frankfurt for Christmas markets? Thinking of taking a couple of days this year t get into the Christmas cheer. Any recommendations for hotels? Something nice and central. HO HO HO Thanks a mill :thnk :thnk :thnk
dragonbride Posts: 447
Hola! I am sorry I dont know about hotels- just want to say my friend went before and said it was amazing and she is going back again this year! She said it was so pretty and definitely worth the trip! Enjoy!
scrunch Posts: 450
Hiya To be honst I would steer away from the big city markets and go to a smaller city / town ! We go to the one in Koblenz (north of Frankfurt) every year, fly with Ryanair Dub - Hahn and bus up to Koblenz ... Great hotel there called B+B Hotel but we normally rent an apartment for the 4 days. Another fab one would be in Aachen, beautiful old cathederal town absolutley stunning aldstad (old town) and the main square where the tonwhall is picture perfect ... Big famous on ein Cologne - but again it looks like a big industrial city ... They are brilliant and if you haven't been before you'll fall in love with them .. My OH lived in germany fora year and we went around the markets every weekend and last year we went over and got engaged at the Christmas market and we're booked to go back in December. I love strolling from square to square looking at all the Christmas stuff, you'll be like a 9 year old again !!! And sipping away on the Gluwhein (mulled wine) the atmosphere is amazing !! Go go go !!! hth
bridee2b Posts: 2534
Sorry Columbo, I haven't any recommendations on hotels either - I haven't been lucky enough to visit Berlin or Frankfurt - but, I just wanted to say that a friend of mine who is BIG into visiting the 'Christmas markets' every year, and she had a great time when she was in Berlin. She also recommended Vienna as a really fantastic weekend away, with a fantastic 'feel' at Christmas time with their outdoor markets. Lucky lucky you!!! Enjoy!!! :wv
Thanks Girls. Scruch- have been to Aachen before but I might check out the one in Koblenz as it sounds lovely. :thnk
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Germany is the HOME OF CHRISTMAS, everyone should experience the Weihnachtsmärkte once in their lives! Absolutely agree with Aachen - it's a stunning town, so much history (it was the seat of the Holy Roman Empire for quite a while), so beautiful, such great food and Atmosphere!! You can fly into Düsseldorf with Aer Lingus and get the train straight there. There's also a brilliant spa-type place, they have natural hot springs there, so cheap and so great for your skin! Disagree utterly on Cologne - it is a wonderful gorgeous charming city (lived there for a year, is my bias showing? :o0 ) and there are a few different markets - one in the Cathedral, one on the Alter Markt, one at the Neumarkt - all different, all lovely. Plus Cologne generally has a great atmosphere, excellent beer and the most stunning cathedral. Well worth a visit. Germanwings used to fly (cheaply!) direct from Dublin, not sure they still do. Again, Aer Lingus to Ddorf and a direct train to Cologne is your easiest bet. And if you want to impress the locals, greet them with "Kölle alaaaaaf!", they will love you. Re: Berlin, it is a fabulous place to visit, but yes it is humongous. But the Christmas market at the Alexanderplatz is one of the lovliest I've ever seen... Last year, I happened to be in the north of Germany in the run-up to Christmas and spent a night at the Christmas market in Lübeck - I fell head over heels in love, it's an old Hanseatic city (so loadsamoney in the middle age, so beautiful city). The markets were beautiful, and it's where the best marzipan is made!! Might be a pain to get to though, Hamburg is an hour away by car. Worth considering are Munich, Nuremberg and Freiburg (in the Black Forest, about which I could sing songs of praise). Eh, so yeah, Columbo get your ass to Germany in December!!! Actually, EVERYONE, get your ass to Germany in December! Disclaimer - Cabbagehead does not work for the German Tourist Board.
Thanks cabbage!! See I've been to Koln, Dusseldorf and Aachen already so that why we wre contemplating Berlin. Also, we'd only be going for 2 nights so really want to be able to fly direct to whatever City we are visiting. Any recommendatins for Hotels in Berlin Cabbage?? Maybe somewhere near Alexanderplatz?
scrunch Posts: 450
It is, you can google it and it will bring up photos and the programme of events ... I was in Frankfurt a couple of time 9summer time though) and found it to be a very modern city it's like the European Ney York ... Koblenz is very special tho and the setting is gorgeous, it's right where the Rhine and the Moselle rivers meet and go onto flow as the Rhine, there is a massive statue of Kaiser Wilheim there, it's caslled Deutches Ecke (German Point) and that's where h2b popped the question !!! Great pubs and restaurnts too .. If you wanted to have a really nice meal on one of the nights I couldn't recommend Gerhards enough, it cosst €60 for the menu (including wine) but it is Michelin star level, supberb, easily the best I've ever had. Other than that there are some great traditional german style bar/restaurants. Although to be honest u can't beat the ole 'bratwurst mit brotchen' as u stroll around !!
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
[quote="Columbo1":3ek13dq8]Thanks cabbage!! See I've been to Koln, Dusseldorf and Aachen already so that why we wre contemplating Berlin. Also, we'd only be going for 2 nights so really want to be able to fly direct to whatever City we are visiting. Any recommendatins for Hotels in Berlin Cabbage?? Maybe somewhere near Alexanderplatz?[/quote:3ek13dq8] Sorry Columberino, my bestest friend lives in Berlin so have never stayed in a hotel there!! Will ask her if she knows anywhere nice. The good thing about Berlin (and most German cities actually) is that the underground network is brilliant, so it almost doesn't matter where you stay. The Alexanderplatz is pretty much bang in the centre of Berlin though so you shouldn't have too much hassle getting accommodation near there. Google has a Park Inn right next door, Park Inns are generally nice (unless you want to avoid the big chain hotels, in which case I am no use :o0 )
I'm getting all hyped up now thinking of it :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll Will chat to himself tonight and see about getting a POA together :o)ll :o)ll