Best breast pads & maternity pads

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Emomc Posts: 2069
Ladies, I am hoping to get the hospital bag sorted shortly as well as stocking up on plenty of those first week essentials Firstly breast pads, which die BF mums find the best? I used Tommee Tippee ones last time round but I think I rem reading others were better. I see both Boots & Tesco do their own brand-anyone tried theses? Also maternity pads. I used Kotex last time (black packet). Are these "green" ones better and I understand you ned to ask for these in the chemist? I asked for these in a chemist in N Ireland yesterday and the lady said she had never hear of them!Want to try my local chemist later today Thanks everyone x (also posted in M & K)
Marpat Posts: 1784
hi there. can't really answer on the breast pads I just have the johnsons ones as I won't be breastfeeding and on previous boys I didn't need them for long. the green pads are the ones that they use in the hospitals. They are very wide and very long so leaking is kept to a minimum. I also like mothercare ones as they are very cushiony and I used to put 2 on a time to help with sitting down for those first couple of days. i think i've seen the green ones in most chemists here.
Pomerol Posts: 95
I tried the Boots breast pads and they were disastrous!!! They just leaked through as they are not waterproof. I then tried the Tommee Tippee ones and found them much better coz they're waterproof.
mammymcphee Posts: 4477
try the breast pads from mothercare, i found them good, also, please get the green maternity pads, so much better, and i know they look awful :o0 but they are much more comfortable, especially if you need stitches :hic best of luck with ur impending arrival :thnk :hyper:
Lovemyboy Posts: 641
Tried the mothercarebreast pads they were disaster for me! I used have 5/6 in each bra at a time and still managed to constantly leak thru!! O:| Green mat pads as another poster said are great for sitting down if u have stitches! :weep but the kotex ones would be fine after the initial pain has eased!! :hic
Duesept11 Posts: 81
I've been using the boots own brand slimline breast pads throughout the pregnancy as they are less bulky (I've been leaking little amounts but often throughout each day) but after I have baby I know from last time I will need Tommee Tippee/Avent ones or other bulkier ones. I ordered a load of the green maternity pads ones online. It was through Sam Mcauley online. I'll also buy in night-time Always pads for when the bleeding begins to ease off
bunnyhop1 Posts: 419
Like everything else when it comes to pregnancy and babies....it depends on the person!! I used boots everything and find them all grand!!! I do like the Avent breast pads as well!!
silverlight Posts: 628
I think it was the Johnson's ones I used & liked the best. I used to use two anyway cos I had so much milk I leaked a good bit.
23leanne Posts: 761
Hi girls, I have 5 packs of the green pads bought (the ones from sam mccauley chemist) I was planning then to buy some mothercare or Boots pads. Thought about the Always but someone said they can stick to stiches etc ! Is 5 packs of the green ones enough or should I buy some more of them?
silverlight Posts: 628
[quote="23leanne":1iybzrrg]Hi girls, I have 5 packs of the green pads bought (the ones from sam mccauley chemist) I was planning then to buy some mothercare or Boots pads. Thought about the Always but someone said they can stick to stiches etc ! Is 5 packs of the green ones enough or should I buy some more of them?[/quote:1iybzrrg] Always are ok later on, but not immediately after the birth, they don't hold enough (if you get what I mean!) I used them about a week after DS was born. I think 5 packs is plenty, personally.