Best place for dresses in New York

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

feb13bride Posts: 7
I am new to WOL but am going to New York next month and would like to take a look around for my wedding dress. Any ideas of where would be a good place to start.
mrsclaus Posts: 274
It all depends on your budget and what dresses you like If you look on line and see what brands you like and then take it from there RK Bridal have a great selection but not your typical bridal experience. You cant make an appointment so you just go there and sign up your name and wait to be called. Can be hit and miss depending on what your expectations are Avoid Kleinfeld, it is full of snobberish horrible sales people that unless your budget is $7000 plus they have no interest Wedding Atilier is very nice, its on 5th ave and 18th street and they have some real nice stylists that really know there stuff Pronovias have there flagship store in NYC if you like there dresses Bridal Reflections is a great store but also depends on your budget. Hope this helps
weddingdiva Posts: 1349
I'd love to go to pronovias in NYC I just love their dresses
elliesbride Posts: 137
Agree with MrsClaus. Pronovias flagship is beautiful, its a busy store so make an appointment well in advance. Wedding Atelier is lovely, it definitely offers a more personalized experience than the others. I thought Kleinfeld was fab too but its huge and starting prices are around 3k I think. Have a google of Say Yes to the Dress, Kleinfeld is the shop the brides go to in it.
FrenchToast Posts: 433
I have my dress picked just need to order it. But I'm going to NY for a girlie weekend in Dec, would it be dangerous to go pretend shopping for fun? I've had to dress shop on my own as I live abroad so thought it could be fun.
kittycatt24 Posts: 1322
Manhatten Bridal at the start of China town. Functional not fancy shop, they had Maggie, Sottero & Midgley dresses etc. I tried on mine their just to show one of my bridesmaids. They were offering deals if i paid cash on the day, id avoid NYC's sales tax on clothes. I purchased mine anyway in New Jersey, where there is no tax on clothes and at an extra discount. Did get my dessy bridesmaid dresses via RK Bridal's online "No Frills Service" and they arrived a whole month earlier than expected! v happy!
Winter2012 Posts: 82
Is there much to be saved by getting our wedding dress in New York? I'm half thinking of going but i think i will end up chickening out and might go through the RK Bridal no frills route!! its so diffcult all these decisions! You mentioned the no tax in New Jesery, were about did you go, was there a good selection. i'm just looking something simple but with the wow factor = same as any bride really!!!! :thnk
kittycatt24 Posts: 1322
[quote="Winter2012":wtyg9o5r]Is there much to be saved by getting our wedding dress in New York? I'm half thinking of going but i think i will end up chickening out and might go through the RK Bridal no frills route!! its so diffcult all these decisions! You mentioned the no tax in New Jesery, were about did you go, was there a good selection. i'm just looking something simple but with the wow factor = same as any bride really!!!! :thnk[/quote:wtyg9o5r] Got it in Cinderella Bridals, Matawan NJ. But I was living there at the time so worked out v handy for me! Made killer savings as exact same dress was on sale here in ireland at more than double the cost! Tbh I couldn't justify going there just for dress, as what u have paid on flights then plus dress may be the cost of the dress here! And NYC is a v expensive city for accomodation and food, unless u have someone to visit there! If u purchase there will u have to go back to collect it or do u want the likes of David's Bridal where u purchase off the rack? All the same wedding dress styles/brands are the same here. Keep an eye out here for clearance/end of season/end of lines if you are liking for a bargain perhaps?Or just use plain old haggling! The peeps on don't tell the bride got good deals so give it a try!