Best time to Conceive? (in the month, I mean)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*MrsShamrock* Posts: 383
Hi girls We have just decided to try for our third baby and although I should probably know the answer by now, we were wondering when is the best time of your cycle to try..when is your most fertile time? Or should we just go at it every day just to be sure?!! :wink: Thanks
*Smajra* Posts: 1440
Hi, You would think that obviously the most fertile time of the month would be around ovulation (usually half way through, so day 14 of a 28 day cycle) however when we were trying for our youngest I read articles suggesting that a woman can actually conceive almost any time of her cycle (scary if your not trying :shock: ) as everyone woman and man are different. The female egg tends to live for 48 hours give or take but its now believed that some sperm can live for up to a week inside the female body and given that women can actually ovulate at different times every month it actually leaves a pretty wide window for possibility! So my advice would be not to get hung up on timing and just go with it when the mood takes you :wink: If you were "doing it" every 3 days you'd pretty much have it covered :lol:
snozberry Posts: 1212
i kinda-sorta thought it was around day 12 after my period finished - we were on honeymoon so didnt have to worry too much as it coincided with day 10 - 17!! and yes we got lucky!! But yeah, tell hubby you have to do it every day - I am sure he wont have any complaints!! :wink:
pinkbride Posts: 173
i read somewhere that its around day 14 of your cycle so to give yourself the best chance you should be fairly "active" from around day 12 to day 16 of your cycle day 1 is the first day of your period so count on 14 days from then thats what i did anyway and we got lucky the first time ! good luck !
yadayada Posts: 1066
Hiya You can record your cycle at http://www.cyclespage.com/ and this will tell you when your most likely to ovulate. If you do an ovulation test around the predicted time then you'll know for sure. You can get cheap tests at www.testforless.com. Good luck with it :wink:
*MrsShamrock* Posts: 383
Thanks girls - I knew I could rely on you lot! Yeah, I did a bit of research on the net yesterday and it's around the 14/15 day point. Here's a great wee calculator thingy for anyone else who is curious about when they're ovulating. http://www.mothersbliss.co.uk/planning/calendar.asp I cant see us having too many problems conceiving (touch wood!) as the other two were pretty quick - hubby only had to look at me and I was preggers so here's hoping in a few months I'll have some news for you all! Many thanks girls! :wink:
yadayada Posts: 1066
Forgot to mention that hubby was at the doc last week and asked did she have any advise to maximise our chances....she told him the best thing to do is abstain for 3 days before ovulation to maximise the swimmers