BFP and UTI

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsMOR Posts: 17
I did three tests between yesterday and today and all positive. Was going to hold off going to my doc for a few weeks but i have a UTI and it seems to be getting worst. I have a problem with my bladder and am prone to UTI's!! Im afraid I will need to take antibiotics which I assume is not good at this early stage but I also know if left untreated it could spread to my bladder or kidneys. Anyone have to take antibiotics at this early stage???
coconut Posts: 2183
Yes twice as i got very bad chest infections and needed to clear them up as i was getting it very hard to breath!
Beaubelle Posts: 741
Hi MrsMOR, Firstly, congrats on BFP!!!! Sorry to hear you're not feeling the best....But if you need an antibiotic, there are many that are safe to use during pregnancy... Your doctor will advise. There is nothing worse than a UTI... I had a really bad one once where I could barely walk and I will never forget it. I felt I had one coming on a week or two ago as well, but I realised it probably came on because I wasn't drinking enough water. Since then I have been drinking water by the gallon and thankfully it has cleared up by itself. I went to the doctor at the time, and because it wasn't too bad, she didn't prescribe me anthing... But if it had been bad I would definitely have taken something for it. I would see your gp as he/she will know best. :wv
Thanks for your replies. Just rang my doc and she is on holidays for two weeks so will drink loads of water for the next few days and hopefully it will go away if not I will go and see one of the other docs
Scrummy Posts: 183
I currently have a UTI and am taking Keflex- Didnt want to have to but I do get a lot of UTI's and know how bad they get without treatment. All the same I am concious of taking them too
suitcase of hopes and dreams Posts: 2932
I had a very bad kidney infection at the start and needed IV antibiotics, everything was ok, hospital assured me it was safe *)
jill80 Posts: 565
[quote="MrsMOR":15iaxrha]I did three tests between yesterday and today and all positive. Was going to hold off going to my doc for a few weeks but i have a UTI and it seems to be getting worst. I have a problem with my bladder and am prone to UTI's!! Im afraid I will need to take antibiotics which I assume is not good at this early stage but I also know if left untreated it could spread to my bladder or kidneys. Anyone have to take antibiotics at this early stage???[/quote:15iaxrha] Congratulations on your pregnancy Mrs MOR! Re - UTI. I found out on a Tuesday I was pregnant, confirmed by doctor's locum on the Friday who said I had "traces" of a uti infection, but who just told me to ring back if infection got worse. It did. Next day my GP was there, I went down she checked sample etc and put me on antibiotics straight away. No harm to my pregnancy. I've been on two lots since. I'm very prone to UTI's (also due to problems with my bladder) and when not pregnant, I have gone down the route of drinking loads of water, cranberry juice route to clear them (sometimes has worked). BUT to be honest I was told later in hospital check-up it is safer to get antibiotics when pregnant with infections, as if you allow infection to build your temperatures can go too high which is dangerous. If I was you, I would go see another doctor in the practice. But there is definitely no harm getting antibiotics. HTH
Saint Joseph Posts: 487
Hi there... I was in the same boat as you, I pretty much knew I was pregnant (was only about 2 weeks) but I had an awful UTI (TMI alter .. i was actually peeing blood) . I went to the doc and explained the sitaution she said if you were 8 months pregnant we'd still treat the infection because if you have an infection, the baby has the infection. She gave me antibiotics which were okay to take for pregnant women and uti went away thank goodness... the follwoing week I got my BFP.. go to the docs, it's very important to get it cleared up!
Thanks again everyone. I have made an appointment to see a locum in the surgery on Friday, i think i am better to get it sorted now and get my pregnancy confirmed officially!!