Bike for Triathlon

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

excitementcity Posts: 1007
Hi all I was just wondering if anyone had a bit of advice. I want to do my first triathlon this year. I have a mountain bike but i think it's a bit heavy for the cycle. Was gonna treat myself to a new bike for my bday but do you think a racer or some type of hybrid would be better? Would appreciate any advice from anybody who knows about these things!!! Also would you know any good bike shops/any place to get a good second hand/new racer? Cheers :wv
hunnymonster Posts: 725
The first thing you need to do is set a budget! Triathlon and road bikes can be very expensive and you're going to have to spend a minimum of about €500 for a starter bike. What kind of bike you get, depends on what you are going to use it. If It's primarily a commuting bike that will be used in one triathlon then a hybrid or city bike would be fine but if you are going to do more than this then you really need to look at a road bike. Most people start with a road bike with clip on bars and move to a tri specific bike further down the line. The most important aspect of the bike is the fit. You will not get power out of a bike that doesn't fit you well. You don't say what part of the country you are in to recommend a good bike shop. THere are very few around the place. After the fit, go for the best components you can afford, the frame,fork materials, the group set, the wheels.....
Hi hunnymonster Thanks a mil for all the advice. I'm from Limerick but living in dublin on the northside so will probably get the bike in Dublin...
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
Hi excitment, I have asked my brother for you he is a cyclist and is doing his first triathlon in the summer :wv
oh that's great. thanks a mil shera...really appreciate that :wv
cycling superstore () or wheelworx () are your best triathlon options in Dublin. If you're at home, Liam Collins in Cycling pursuits on the Dock road is well worth chatting to.
thanks hunnymonster that's great...
no problem. Which triathlon are you thinking of doing?
well was going to to the Joey Hannan Memorial Novice Triathlon but I notice from the Triathlon Ireland race calendar that it's not there this year...well yet anyway (was on the old race calendar)... not sure if they are still going to go ahead with it...waiting to find out.....if not will go for some other sprint one....I just thought that would be a good one to start with and its in limerick so could combine it with a trip home...
Mrs Snuffleupagus Posts: 554
I second the cycle superstore, they are real helpful. They do tri starter packs. The first two triathlons that I did I completed on a mountain bike and to be honest was passing people on their fancy racers (just in case your not sure if you wanna continue on with Triathlon afterwards (mind you probably will as they are fairly addictive). you can get second hand Trek bikes on line for a reasonable enough price (this is what I traded up for). Good Luck and enjoy! :wv