Menu

Bike To Work Scheme.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Time For A Change Posts: 6885
Have any of you availed of the Bike To Work Scheme, or do only certain companies provide it? Hubby has decided to get a bike, and he wants me to get one too! It would be great if we started doing staycations, just clip them on the back of the car, and be able to go sight-seeing the healthy way. It would help us get fit, and it would save on diesel too. He only found out last week, by pure chance, that his job do the Bike To Work Scheme, but had never been informed about it. The guy in HR just said that all he had to do, was ask about it. Hubbys answer was "How could I ask, when I didn't know it existed!". We went to a bike shop yesterday, and the lovely sales guy filled out the form, and put down that we were going for the max price you can go for - €1000 bike!!!! No, I'm not going for that one!!! :o0 :o0 The guy said that it works out to our advantage to put that down. Thing is hubby thinks he can take my "leftover credit" iykwim. I checked our intranet in work, and this is what it says [u:hxrrq1rt][i:hxrrq1rt]"Eligibility This scheme is only for you and not your child/spouse/partner/siblings/parents” [/i:hxrrq1rt][/u:hxrrq1rt] Am I reading it correctly, is it saying that I can't give hubby the remainder, to go towards his bike? I think it does - he says it doesn't! I don't want to go ahead with it, if it's going to cost a lot more than he thinks. Who gets to say "Told ye so!" :o0 :o0
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
We run a scheme like this in work and there is no combining credit with spouses etc. Employees avail of the bike scheme as individuals. You choose a bike, work pay for it and then you pay work back through payroll and before tax which is obviously where the saving comes in.
Reston Posts: 1321
Myself and DH have just done this. You go and pick out your bike. You take the invoice to work then they pay the invoice. You pay back out of your salary.
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
[quote="Daisy Row":27pjek1p]We run a scheme like this in work and [u:27pjek1p]there is no combining credit with spouses[/u:27pjek1p] etc. Employees avail of the bike scheme as individuals. You choose a bike, work pay for it and then you pay work back through payroll and before tax which is obviously where the saving comes in.[/quote:27pjek1p] Looks like I was right!! :o0 :o0 I read further down the page, and the process is now closed, and won't be re-opening until December. Hubby says to put it in anyway, but I said that all they'll tell me is that they can't do anything until December, or to resend the form in December!
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
Id definetly recommend it - you dont need to spend all the 1000e on the bike - you can also include safety accessories like a lock, light, high vis jacket, helmet etc. My bike and accessories came to 750e in total, but after tax etc, my pay was only down 20e a month so all in all, I was only down 250e over the course of the year. :o)ll
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
Just to say there is nothing stopping an employee buying a bike for another family member using the scheme as technically we wouldn't be checking up so would never know. I know of a couple of the guys here who purchased for their wives or teenage kids.
Couple Photography