Bio Oil and other products….

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

firefly78 Posts: 312
Bio Oil and other products…. I wanted to hear your opinions on the use of this, was in the Health shop yesterday and was going to buy some for stretch marks but the lady in the health shop advised me against using anything like this and I should only use the natural stuff as Bio oil has Sodium Laurate Sulfate in it. When I checked at home, it is in everything…..toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner etc. She said I should be using the more natural stuff like Rosematta oil (or something like that) as the chemicals were bad for the baby in the Bio Oil. I know tonnes of people that use Bio il or clarins and just wanted to hear what you thought Also can you tell me which one you think is best and when you start using it. I’m only about 6 weeks so is it too soon? Thanks as always FF
redwifey Posts: 2932
I am using it and have been since I was 5 weeks. Not sure whether it's harmful to the baby like that lady suggested but to be honest thousands of women used it before us so it can't be bad. Best of luck with your pregnancy.
crazychick Posts: 763
I don't think it could possibly be bad. And it does work!!!! I had a long purple scar on my elbow for about 2 years, used bio oil once a day for a week and it vanished!!!! Spooky!
little miss may Posts: 392
Hi Firefly78. I must say I could nearly have taken shares out in Bio-oil when I was pregant as I went through mountains of the stuff!! Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is in lots of cleansing products-its what makes cleansers and shampoos foam- so you are more than likely being exposed to it everyday anyway. I used the Clarins tonic oil too-as far as I remember it contains all natural ingredients and oils but correct me if I'm wrong. Towards the end I was using the Avent maternity oil mist which I found good too. I didnt get one stretch mark-now I dont know if thats because I was lucky or if it was because of the oils I was using-I was using them religiously morning and night. Aparantly if you are going to get stretch marks no amount of all can stop them coming and a good way to check is to ask your mum if she got them-if she did you may get them yourself!! If you are looking for something natural, Sweet Almond Oil is a good and cheap alternative-actually if you look at the maternity oils you will see that its an ingredient in many of them. Towards the end of my pregnancy I was using this as I was spending too much money on the other oils. Because I was oiling morning and night I was flying through bottles!!
mags s Posts: 591
yeah i am using the bio - oil and i have some stretch marks...i am 33 weeks..they are not really on my belly just on my hips ( love handles )..but i am sure i will be riddled by the time the baby arrives..they are just a fact of life and i do agree that if you are going to get them you will get them no matter what you use...
mumof2 Posts: 3864
I used that every day and went to 16 stone :-8 and never had a stretch mark - would swear by it
Mrs Electric Posts: 1939
its great stuff, if it wasnt good they would advise preg women not to use it..i think all the natural ones are great too but the people in health shops are trying to make money too, Im using bio oil and its excellent, i had loads of stretch marks on my boobs and they have faded so much now, if going out and i dont want to have the oil on my clothes i use vichy anti stretch mark cream so between the 2 i find them great. The lady in chemist said definitely ok to use.
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
Some people dont use products with sodium laurate sulphate in them at all, regardless of whether they are pregnant. If you werent to use Bio Oil for that reason you would have to make sure you dont use so many other products! I generally use a mixture of 'natural' and 'normal' products anyway, and am continuing to do so.
dhidra Posts: 3147
I was in Lush the other day and they showed me a massage bar for stretch marks, can't remember what it's called, but it had very few ingredients, even compared to the other products in Lush.