Birth Book

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Chime Posts: 17
Hi, Could anyone recommend a good book on preparing for birth and labour? Thanks!
seastar Posts: 120
I'm reading Ina May's guide to childbirth at the moment. Have only started it but it's helping me to feel positive about the whole experience.
stephnyc Posts: 414
i agree with seastar - have just finished Ina May Gaskin & would recommend it
blondiechick Posts: 1641
JuJu Sundin's book. Very, very good. Goes through everything. was recommended by a friend to me and I can honestly say it prepares you well for birth.
Baby Babs Posts: 2596
I recommend Hypnobirthing book by Maria Morgan. I did a course on it after reading the book. In Ireland there is also Gentlebirthing which is based on the same philosophy. It really helped me to enjoy the pregnancy and remove my fear of labour and of pain. In the end I c-section but being relaxed helped me to recover quickly and even my baby is so chilled out and relaxed. I've learnt to trust my instincts and that the baby also knows what she needs and we are getting on great.
Marie Mongan's book is excellent. Was so afraid of labour & birth till I read this. You can get it in waterstones. Just make sure you get the one with CD as it's the same price an the CD is great.
GentleBirth Posts: 750
You can't beat Ina May! :) She also has a new breastfeeding book out too which is definitely worth a read. (Completely off topic but my hubby is trying to convince me to get a new car before our 2nd addition arrives..... but Ina May sat in that seat....would someone buy my car without a front passenger seat ??) :o0 For an Irish (and very positive) book on giving birth in Ireland there's also my book The Better Birth Book (Liffey Press). Tracy
walkingwollie Posts: 3344
[quote="Blondie_Chick":2bd5lygj]JuJu Sundin's book. Very, very good. Goes through everything. was recommended by a friend to me and I can honestly say it prepares you well for birth.[/quote:2bd5lygj] +1 Only thing that made me feel prepared - used a lot of it
JuJu Sundin's book - is that called "Juju Sundin's Birth Skills: Proven Pain-Management Techniques for Your Labour and Birth"?