Birth plans

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

alton Posts: 3077
I've come across a lot of references to birth plans lately and am starting to think about what I want/ don't want. I'd love to see an actual birth plan (as a kind of template) if anyone is willing to share. PM or post. Thanks!!!!
TracyD Posts: 750
Hi Alton, Here's the birth preference sheet my couples use as a starting point. --------------------------------------- John and I are looking forward to having a positive birth experience at x. Below are our birth preferences. We appreciate your support during this special time. During Labour I would like to keep VE’s to a minimum (ie on admission) and only at my request after that (unless there is a concern for my baby) I prefer to labour and birth in any position that I find comfortable. I prefer to have intermittent monitoring unless there is a concern for my baby. We would like to keep the lights dimmed as much as possible. As long as labour progresses normally and my baby are doing fine I prefer not to have my membranes released or have my labour speeded up. I prefer not to have an episiotomy When I am fully dilated, and assuming our baby is doing well, I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the second stage of labour. After the Birth I prefer to have a natural third stage and allow the cord to finish pulsating before it is clamped/cut. My partner would like to cut the cord ---------------------------- Special Circumstances: Should intervention become necessary we would appreciate being fully informed of all risks, benefits and alternatives. If a caesarean becomes necessary, my partner will remain with me at all times. Time permitting I wish to have an epidural for anesthesia.
Anonymous Posts: 24542
Hi there, I posted mine on the June mums thread, abut halfway down this page: http://www2.weddingsonline.ie/discussio ... an#1510017 Hope that helps,good luck,m.
Thanks both of you! That will get me started! Never even thought about cutting the cord!
woc Posts: 156
sorry if this is a stupid question but can you have a birth plan if you are a public patient?
Not a stupid question at all. The answer is absolutely. It really just boils down to deciding what interventions you do/ don't want, and then writing them down so that when you're babbling away on the happy gas your wishes are still known and (hopefully) met.
TracyD Posts: 750
Bump Tracy