Birthday invite Q for ya's!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hagfromhell Posts: 2146
(Sorry didn't know what sort of a heading to give this post) Am organising small surprise party for "himself's" 40th birthday in a few weeks. It is only an informal thing and am just going to text his friends / family and ask them. Due to everybody being under so much pressure with money these days I want to tell them all not to bring a present that it is not expected at all but don't know how to word it in a text without sounding rude e.g. "Present not expected". Is there any nicer way to say it?
Little Boots Posts: 301
I wouldnt say anything at all about presents. Its up to people if they want to bring one or not.
[quote="Little Boots":221fihju]I wouldnt say anything at all about presents. Its up to people if they want to bring one or not.[/quote:221fihju] Thanks Little Boots, its just that I don't want people to feel "obliged" to bring something IYKWIM. I would rather people just turned up for a few drinks like a normal Saturday night (or what it used to be like) without feeling as if they couldn't come empty handed.
Nah, I think its more rude to imply that you expect people to bring gifts by telling them not to do so. God this is complicated. :o0
[quote="Little Boots":3dc887kb]Nah, I think its more rude to imply that you expect people to bring gifts by telling them not to do so. God this is complicated. :o0[/quote:3dc887kb] You are right, I can't do right for doing wrong!
Exactly. Now, what time do you want me there? :o0
[quote="Little Boots":1i3kph9g]Exactly. Now, what time do you want me there? :o0[/quote:1i3kph9g] Anytime around 9pm. Can you sing / dance / entertain at all??
mkb Posts: 1744
I organised a little 40th surprise party for my sis and was stuck with the same thing, what do you say to people when you really do just want the pleasure of there company, so I just sent a text saying Hi Folks, Just wanted to invite you all to small surprise party for Mr. designerwine on the..... to celebrate his 40th birthday in our house, no need to bring anything but yourselves, but please do let me know if you can make it. it would be great to see you all. thanksvery much mrs designerwine. some people did turn up with presents, some didn't. If people want to buy him something they will so don't worry about it. present buying isnt really something you can stop people doing if they are generous. hth
Doll Face Posts: 3721
Can i come to ill be the entertainment :o)ll :o)ll I can sing and dance !!! :o0 :o0 :o0 I wouldent say anything at all !!! If people can afford a gift then theyll bring one and if not they wont !!!
candypants Posts: 8575
Jeezebelle's idea sounds great. Although id say to them were having a gathering more than id say a party, at least a gathering they may think less of bringing a present iykwim. H2b will kill you telling people not to bring him presents :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0