Birthing Pool....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jmeath Posts: 5740
Girls...this is something that keeps going round and round in my head... at this stage is it too late to discuss using a birthing pool during labour? I find i am so relaxed in the water, it sootes my back pain and im quite comfortable (even when i go to the swimming pool the water helps)... Have many of you given birth in them??? also posted in M+K
walkingwollie Posts: 3344
I feel just the same jmeath! ... but probably too chicken to ask. The birthing pools in my area are in the hospital that I'm [b:2q13dzge]not [/b:2q13dzge]booked into. Seems a hassle to change now but wonder if I will regret it...
milis Posts: 7998
Are you in the MLU jmeath? They have pools in each of the rooms there. You are not allowed to have a water birth in Ireland though, there was a ban put on them after that baby drowned in Cavan, they are still waiting for the inquest results before they decide. So in the MLU you have to get out once you are 8cm dilated.
Thanks girls, thought i read about that baby alright...i not sure i want an actual water irth but im going public in OLOL, Drogheda....do you get to use the birthign pool like you do in the MLU? I havent started ante - natal classes yet so know nothing!
milis Posts: 7998
The pools are in the rooms in the MLU, so you wouldn't get to use them unless you are up there. I'm not sure if they have pools in the delivery suites, but I doubt it!!
TracyD Posts: 750
Hi Jmeath, Only mums that are in the MLU get to use the 2 labour pools. The HSE waterbirth ban has been lifted since June but each hospital is working on guidelines as to whether they will allow waterbirths to resume. It's a shame considering there are so many waterbirths just up the road in the North. You could always get a pool and use it at home before you go in or use the bath in the labour ward. Tracy
:o0 girls i thought a birthing pool was a bath.... am i wrong? I just feel so relaxed with my back pain in the bath with nice hot water...i just thought it would be a great help
TracyD Posts: 750
Hi Jmeath - it's a much bigger version of a normal bath - it's like a big round jacuzzi and about 4 - 5 times the depth of a bath so you can really move around/float in it :) Tracy