bit of a problem

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*bubblez* Posts: 1599
Ok, so last week I posted that I felt like a failure cos I couldn't conceive and felt like the whole world around me was getting pregnant. Shortly after that I walked out of my job cos I couldn't take one more second of being spoken to like I was the scum of the earth. My hubby fully supposts this decision however over the weekend I've been feeling funny my boobs are really sore and almost hard and I'm getting af pains but they're not like they usually are I'm also feeling sick and my sense of smell is gone out of control I can smell ppl a mile away.. I nearly threw up when out grocery shopping cos there was a smelly aul one in the next aisle!!! so I sat down to do my sums last night and make sure I had my af due date correct, but it turns out I counted wrong and I was due the middle of last week... so now its monday still no AF and no sign of it either but I also have no job... I contemplated going back grovelling to the old place but I really don't think I would carry baba to full term if I was back there with the amount of stress I have to put up with... I don't know if I'm looking for advice or just wanting to get this off my chest I've felt sick since I realised and I'm terrified to do a test cos it'll be real then... I just don't know what to do, I didn't want to get pregnant this way I wanted to have a relatively stress free pregnancy but that's out the window cos without my job we can't pay for the mortgage... I'm just so worried... has anyone ever started a new job while pregnant? or worked as a temp? also how does this affect teh maternity pay we get from the social? Is there even anywhere I could go for advice on any of this?
madmam Posts: 1294
Crazylady, go do a test! there is never a good time to get pregnant, and if you are (looks good!) you have a good 3 months to get another job before you start showing. And don't tell potential employers that you are preggers (if you are). This will give you more incentive to get out there and sell yourself! Go do a test! Good luck!
Elliecat Posts: 2725
I don't know about the republic, but I know in the North that you have to be in a job 24 weeks by the time you are 15wks pregnant to qualify for full maternity benefit. Check out the government websites to see what the situation is in South. And you should do a test - you're stressing about it anyway, so you might as well know for sure.
halo Posts: 1406
crazy lady, I fully empathise - we're TTC for ages too, I think i'm onto cycle 12 at this stage with no luck and we're going for tests, and I would love to walk out of my job in the morning too! DH is onto me to get out of it to help my stress levels but sure we will see! Don't stress yourself out though, check out this link [url=http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/social-welfare-payments-to-families-and-children/maternity_benefit:2k4u1bn4]here[/url:2k4u1bn4], AFAIK you only have to have a certain number of tax credits in the tax year previous to you having the baby to qualify for maternity benefit. Temping might be a handy way to go - that way no-one will be hesitant to take you on when you're visibly pregnant as you will only be on a short term contract anyway...best of luck and test soon to put your mind at rest.
chilledout Posts: 834
I agree you should test first and worry later. Happy out is right though, your maternity pay is dependant on the previous tax year so even if you're not working now you, if you were working a year ago you'll be fine. Also, its illegal for an employer not to hire you because you are pregnant. You may not get them to pay your full salary while you're on maternity leave, but a lot of companies don't do that anyway. Have a look at this site it might help http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... g-to-birth
chilledout Posts: 834
I was in a bit of a rush writing that post, I meat to add: It sounds like you're better off out of that job as you can see this as a new start. It might take a while but I'm sure you'll look back on this and realise it was the best thing you ever did. Its very daunting finding out you're pregnant when you didn't expect it (I was the same) but these things have a way of working themselves out. Best of luck to you with the job hunting. Try not to let it get you down. I hope you find a job you really love as that makes such a difference to your life.
round two Posts: 1018
Hi Crazy Lady, I am just playing catch up on the posts here today and I agree with the girls that you are better off out of that stress. Think of it as a completely new start in your life and think how exciting that start can be with a little munchkin to keep you company. You are assessed for your maternity on the previous tax year credits so this should not cause you any issue and as the girls said you are not showing or even close to showing. Personally I would prefer to let an employer know that you will only be with them for 8 months or look for a temporary contract as you would only really be completely into the job by the time you go on leave. Also if I am not wrong you have to be in a place a certain amount of time before you are entitled to the leave otherwise they do not have to keep your job for you so it is better in the long run to tell them. Go test and some back and share your news with us Hope
*bubblez* Posts: 1599
Thanks for the replies girls I haven't done a test yet but hubby is getting me one today so we'll know for definite. I don't know what to do about the job situation but if the worst happens and I have to work as a temp then I'll consider myself lucky. Its a good thing that I left the job its just an unfortunate coincedence that I ended up pregnant at the same time. The place is an absolute dive i posted before about how 6 weeks before my wedding some wench started a rumour I was having an affair!! so glad to be out of there. Anyway I'll post tonight and let you all know if I got a BFP. Thanks again
strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
god crazy lady i know it doesnt look like it now but your lucky to be out of there, can you imagine being pregnant and working there. it doesnt seem like a very nice place at all your best away from it. try not to fret everything happens for a reason and if your preg its fantastic, worst case scenario you can temp sure. try not to panic everything will work out, just do your test first and let us know how you get on.