Black tie wedding dress etiquette

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

blondiechick Posts: 1641
Ladies, I have been invited to a black tie wedding in 2 weeks time. My DH will wear a tux, easy peasy....but what am I supposed to wear??!! Should I be wearing a floor-length ball gown type dress? Or would I just wear a to-the-knee type Karen Millen dress that I usually wear to non black tie weddings?! Thanks! Also, is it still a big no-no to wear cream?? Loads of people wore cream to my wedding, I couldn't have cared less. But I wouldn't like to offend the bride or anyone else by turning up in cream... Thanks
mammymcphee Posts: 4477
HEYA :wv we were at a black tie wedding recently and most ladies had floor length dresses. some did have short ones tho and looked lovely too. they have some lovely maxi dresses on the monsoon website you could check out, :wv as for the cream, im not sure, if u knew the bride was wearing cream or ivory maybe, i would stay clear a girl arrived to my wedding in a white dress, boobtube type and she stood out like a sore thumb, but it didnt really bother me. each to their own i suppose. enjoy the wedding tho :wv
BusyDee Posts: 8527
First of all I wouldnt wear cream, white or ivory, there are so many lovely summery colours out there! Second - I will never wear a full lenght dress to a black tie ever again! First and only BT I went to I wore a full lenght dress and was about the only one! Even though it was winter nearly all the women just had regular lenght dresses, didnt find the women looked any different than a normal wedding. I felt very over dressed and out of place.
nelswife Posts: 3869
I was at a BT wedding a couple of years ago and the women wore both floor length dresses and dresses to their knee that you would wear to a non black tie wedding - my advise wear what you are going to feel comfortable in
teapotty Posts: 2085
[quote="MrsDCee":2mhfydmj] Second - I will never wear a full lenght dress to a black tie ever again! First and only BT I went to I wore a full lenght dress and was about the only one! Even though it was winter nearly all the women just had regular lenght dresses, didnt find the women looked any different than a normal wedding. I felt very over dressed and out of place.[/quote:2mhfydmj] Not picking on you now MrsDCee but your post just made me think of something- is it really that bad if you end up being the only girl in the long dress or the only girl in the knee-lenght dress? Really all that's important is that you're along the right lines in terms of how dressed up you are and that you feel comfortable in your outfit. And I'd definitely never think "oh look at yer one in the long dress, bit overdressed eh?", instead I'd be saying fair play she went the whole hog and got proper dolled up. I think us ladies fret over these things far too much!
mkb Posts: 1744
i'ed try suss out what other people are wearing first and then make your decision. I went to one in Sept and there was a mix mash of peopel in cocktail dresses. long dress, maxi dresses. I wore a long one as my all my mate were as well so i was only too delighted to be able to pull out a long dress that i had and use it.
queen30 Posts: 1551
Id prob go for a long dress, especially this summer as there are so many nice ones about. coast have a lot. id never wear cream to a wedding but lots of people seem to these days so maybe it isnt as much of a faux pas as it used to be. im sure on my wedding day i wont care what people wear but thinking about it now id be annoyed if girls wore cream/white. Brides prerogative and all that.
AliceCullen Posts: 1408
I'd wear whatever you're comfortable in, either long of short (don't think there's a rule) but definately wouldn't wear cream/white or ivory. I know it didn't bother you at your wedding but it does bother some brides and if it was me I wouldn't want to hassle HTH :thnk
BusyDee Posts: 8527
[quote="teapotty":3gm37jd1][quote="MrsDCee":3gm37jd1] Second - I will never wear a full lenght dress to a black tie ever again! First and only BT I went to I wore a full lenght dress and was about the only one! Even though it was winter nearly all the women just had regular lenght dresses, didnt find the women looked any different than a normal wedding. I felt very over dressed and out of place.[/quote:3gm37jd1] Not picking on you now MrsDCee but your post just made me think of something- is it really that bad if you end up being the only girl in the long dress or the only girl in the knee-lenght dress? Really all that's important is that you're along the right lines in terms of how dressed up you are and that you feel comfortable in your outfit. And I'd definitely never think "oh look at yer one in the long dress, bit overdressed eh?", instead I'd be saying fair play she went the whole hog and got proper dolled up. I think us ladies fret over these things far too much![/quote:3gm37jd1] Forgot to mention my dress also had a little train on it! I actually didnt feel comfortable in it but everyone kept telling me that the wedding would be VERY dressy etc but I would have much rathered gone in a shorter dress if I knew there would be loads others in them aswell!
Sodapop Posts: 3220
original Black Tie dress was a floor length gown but these days a nice cocktail dress with good accessories is acceptable - our xmas parties are Black Tie and girls are wearing both type of dresses and believe me they all looked the part! Do up your hair, make up - good accessories - nice shoes and it will be a winner!