Blankets and Bumpers ??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Finished here Posts: 2860
Are there certain blankets that are not safe for babies ?? There seems to be a lot more fleece blankets on the market than cellular blankets and while they are cuter am i wrong in thinking that babies should only use cellular blankets as they are more breathable and therfore less of a risk for baby and have i not heard the same about bumpers ?? that these are not safe for small babies again due to increase in risk of suffocation or cot deaths ?? Any advice greatly appreciated Thanks FF
Anonymous Posts: 24542
Didn't know what cellular blankets were a week ago so asked a (far!!) more experienced friend and she said you should get them because fleece blankets could suffocate a baby if they bring them up over their head...at least with the cellular blankets they can breathe through them.
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
are cellular blankets the ones with the holes in them :-8 I'm clueless !!!
Thanks Vodafone thats what i thought and yes sunny girl they are the ones with the holes in them the ones that look really old fashioned :o0
neeov Posts: 4256
Cellular blankets are usually made from cotton and have some holes due to the weave of them. I think they are safer because its harder for baby to overheat. Fleece blankets are good if its cold, i.e. bringing baby out in the pram. I'd say a blanket over baby's face is bad no matter what type of blanket. The baby sleeping bags are supposed to cut the risk. Otherwise baby can be placed with his feet at the bottom of the cot so there is no room to wriggle down. The bumpers are a hazard for baby as s/he can get trapped under them and get suffocated. Also they can end up wedged against them and have restricted breathing. When baby is older they can use them to climb out of the cot. I got some cellular ones and some fleece ones for the pram/naps. I got 2 baby sleeping bags for baby to sleep in at night.
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
so if you use the baby sleeping bags (is it grobags?) does that mean you don't need any blankets for sleeping?
Anonymous Posts: 24542
I'm like Sunnygirl!! clueless! Just realised i haven't a clue what a bumper bag is!
neeov Posts: 4256
You don't need any blankets if you use a sleeping bag. Grobag is one brand of sleeping bag. You just pop baby in a babygro or vest and into the sleeping bag. They have a zip for accessing the nappy too. The grobag package has lots of information about how to dress baby for sleep and what temperature the room should be etc. Blankets are probably less expensive as they suit a baby of any size, with the sleeping bags you have to get new ones as they grow. I just like the idea that baby can't wriggle out of them. I have some blankets for naps as baby will nap in the pram downstairs.
Excellent thanks for the info i can safely shop now :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
[quote="sunnygirl":1bnfsvai]so if you use the baby sleeping bags (is it grobags?) does that mean you don't need any blankets for sleeping?[/quote:1bnfsvai] Yes, at our antenatal yesterday the midwife was explaining how ppl end up overheating babs by putting a grobag and blankets on them, that its one or the other. The fleece blankets are handy for putting over babs in the buggy if your going out walking FF, sister uses them for this all the time, the cellular blankets or grobags are better for the cot/moses basket/pram though, this was what we were told at the antenatal yesterday....