Bleeding at only 5 weeks-looking for advice

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
Hi, could not sleep last night, I was very anxious. It was nearly half 3 before I nodded off and woke up this morning feeling very non pregnant. No symptoms, sensitive nipples gone etc. Anyway started spotting and now definitely bleeding fresh blood. Thing is do I just ring gp to say I've miscarried or what? My normal gp is away and I was with this lovely but very odd Frank Spencer type of dec yesterday and I dread trying to talk to him on the phone!! I'm rhesus negative so wonder will I need my anti d jab or is it too early and not necessary?? I know I should ring gp, but he is such an odd loon.
Emme Posts: 4735
Hi Dairy Queen, maybe ring the hospital if you don't feel comfortable about calling the GP. A midwife might be better? Best of luck, hope it's nothing to worry over.
NewMom1 Posts: 1252
dairyqueen, you could also try the vhi nurseline if you are a member. Best thing is to get to the hospital though, if you have registered with one at this stage. Best of luck with it all xx
Perci Posts: 3847
Hiya, I'm sorry you've started bleeding. I had 2 'chemical pregnancies' after my DS, one at 4.5wks and one at 5.5 wks. I knew that I'd miscarried because I did pg tests which were either negative or fading away. I rang the GP on both occasions and it was just treated like a late period. I don't know about the rhesus negative factor but I think you would have to ring the GP. You could also phone your nearest early pregnancy unit?
hmmmm. just rang hosp and don't need my injection untill 10 weeks so thats something. She asked have I any pain which I don't really and to keep in contact with my gp and to pop in anytime I wanted!!?? For tea??
[quote="Augusta":3rqbvacj]Hiya, I'm sorry you've started bleeding. I had 2 'chemical pregnancies' after my DS, one at 4.5wks and one at 5.5 wks. I knew that I'd miscarried because I did pg tests which were either negative or fading away. I rang the GP on both occasions and it was just treated like a late period. I don't know about the rhesus negative factor but I think you would have to ring the GP. You could also phone your nearest early pregnancy unit?[/quote:3rqbvacj] Thanks for that, sounds like I'm the same. What is a chemical pregnancy? Like a phantom pregnancy???? I just rang gp he is to ring me back. Does that mean we can start trying again asap?
BikerBride Posts: 208
Hi Dairy Queen, why don't you ring the CUMH ER for some advice. tel: 4920500. Ask for the ER when the switch is answered. I'm also RHesus negative - what blood group is your DH? My DH is also negative so I won't need the anti-D but when I inquired about it at the CUMH they said that they don't give it to you until you are 10 weeks at least.
I rang and they said the same which is odd as I had it on DS after a bleed but then I had had a scan and his little heart was fluttering away.
Perci Posts: 3847
[quote:144ipxzt]What is a chemical pregnancy? Like a phantom pregnancy???? [/quote:144ipxzt] It's defo not a phantom pg, it's very real but it's just the clinical term used for a very early miscarriage. Apparently it happens in as much as 50% of pregnancies but because it happens so early many women don't realise they're pregnant. We waited a couple of months after the first m/c and then I got pg, had a m/c but then got pregnant again in the next cycle.
Ok thanks. If we were lucky enough to get bfp next cycle do I count today as day1 then?