Blood Diamond

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Smurf Posts: 1447
Went to see it last night. Bawled me eyes out. Told husband I don't want to wear these diamond rings anymore. Seriously I feel disgusting wearing them and am thinking of just buying a plain band and having it blessed.
Mrs áthas Posts: 3488
Choose canadian or argyle (australian) diamonds. My engagement ring is an Australian diamond, and while it may not be the clunker that others have whenever my least favourite ostentatious conversation of ‘how big my diamond is’ (in real life that is…wollys brag away! :-8 ) comes up I always whisper to myself ‘noone died for my bit of jewellery’ Check this out if you want to get involved http://www.amnestyusa.org/diamonds/index.do and here is a great site for wedding bands, cruelty free www.greenkarat.com
Thanks Mrs Athas, but I'm already engaged and married and I don't know where my diamonds came from. I feel disgusting wearing them not knowing if someone was killed for these :o( :o( :o( :o(
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Thanks for spoiling the film HM :o0
judibaby Posts: 2085
I know its awful Mrs A, but a great film and it did its job if it made you think twice about where your diamonds come from. We bought the stones for my engagement ring in Toronto, and I'm having stones put into my wedding band too, so my friend in Toronto who will be coming back for the month before the wedding will bring them with her and the guy who made my e-ring will make my wedding band with the stones
[quote="Dolly Dora":1igbc1pf]Thanks for spoiling the film HM :o0[/quote:1igbc1pf] Dolly somehow I don't think you actually need to go see the film to know that there was people killed in it. Its awful. I really thinking about never wearing diamonds again. I don't know what to do. I wish I could trace where these diamonds came from.
judibaby Posts: 2085
You could ask in the shop where you bought it but they prob wouldn't tell you the truth. I used to work across the road from a jewellers years ago, and I don't know where he got his diamonds from, but it was a big secret and none of the staff were allowed to say where he was gone
[quote="judibaby":1gcc0h97]You could ask in the shop where you bought it but they prob wouldn't tell you the truth. I used to work across the road from a jewellers years ago, and I don't know where he got his diamonds from, but it was a big secret and none of the staff were allowed to say where he was gone[/quote:1gcc0h97] Jesus thats bad. Like the amount of women walking around wearing diamonds and they've no idea where they have come from, no idea if some poor child may have been slaughtered for them. It really upset me. :o(
*Muffin* Posts: 7243
I'm sure by tomorrow you'll be well over the film, and polishing your diamonds up a storm.
*gone* Posts: 4785
I know on the back of the receipt for my ring (the receipt for a ring that I haven't been given yet, and wasn't even meant to see the receipt!) said that all their diamonds were guaranteed to be non-conflict diamonds. Don't know if that is what the film is about, conflict diamonds?