bloodd - what would you do

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jeidi Posts: 3128
OK, I am deathly afraid of needles and blood etc (how comical) but I'm over it in my head as I know it HAS to be done (never mind the birth like). But my consultant just called and said i have to get my bloods done and they'll send out the form, I can get them done either at my own GP or in the hospital at my 20 weeks scan ... what would you all chose? I was thinking my own GP, as that wasy I can go sonner and not have to wait till 20 weeks and have it hanging over me??
workingmom Posts: 3429
Ah Jeidi, I feel your pain, I feel queasy when I see the needle, but if I were you, I'd go to my GP, tell him/her that you're not the best with needles, maybe even ask them can you lie down while they take your blood and don't look at it! I think that in a familiar environment, with someone you are used to, you will be a lot more at ease than waiting in the hospital and waiting for weeks on end. HTH, be brave!
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
Jedi I was exactly like you but now you could stick as many needles as you liked into me and it wouldn't hurt. I would def go to your GP and get it done sooner rather than later. You can also tell your GP that you have a fear and they will be very gentle with you. I can honestly say the sorest needle I've ever had was the one they give you in primary school for MMR. I think thats where my fear started. Pulling the plaster off your arm after the blood tests is worse than the needle itself. The needle is only small and doesn't need to go in very far at all. Have you ever had a needle that hurt before?
alton Posts: 3077
You poor thing. Do whatever makes it easiest on you and it kind of sounds like the GP option might be a little less stressful than waiting around for the hospital. I never minded having blood taken until I had an awful time with this idiot nurse who couldn't find a vein. I leaned back in the chair and closed my eyes to try and block it all out but she thought I was fainting and had just found a vein at last so she started roaring for help. I got the fright of my life and was afraid to open my eyes for fear of what I'd see. The next time I needed blood taken I was petrified (a bit daft considering nothing had actually happened the last time) and the nurse who was taking it was really sympathetic and asked me to tell her why I was worried. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I didn't notice her taking the sample. She kept me talking, had the needle at room temperature, and was holding it in her hand so that you couldn't see it properly. I was still worrying about it when she told me that she had finished. Recently I found a dentist who is just as subtle in his technique that you wouldn't know you're getting an injection. Let whoever takes the sample know that you're phobic so that they can be a bit more sensitive about it than usual.
montblanc Posts: 385
I'm not sure about this. I hate hate hate needles as well, and sometimes I faint when I have to get blood done, but got blood taken at the hospital the day of my sccan and it was really good. I thought he had just put the needle in but he had already taken all the blood he needed. They have professionals in hospital whose job it is to take blood all day every day and the guy I got was really gentle. I couldn't even see the needle hole aferwards. Your GP might not take blood as often and may not be quite as good (but of course maybe he is excellent too!).
bride. Posts: 3014
Oh my god alton, I'm in stitches here, that's hilarious. (Sorry!!) I feel so sorry for you Jeidi, def go to the gp. I'm a complete pro at having blood tests, I've had a reason to get them done since I was a small child. Do try and talk to the nurse or doctor doing them and don't look at it being done, it's just a little pinch or a scratch and then it's all over.
Yoda Posts: 3340
If you are comfortable with your GP go to him/her I have no problem with needles but they have a problem with me, nurses/doctors in the hospitals / blood tranfusion board always have trouble getting the vein and I end up like a pin cushion My own GP is the best at getting blood from me but I have had to get bloods done four times in the last year and a half on top of blood donations Just tell GP of your concerns and I am sure you will be fine
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Ah thanks everyone for the replies, I spoke to DH last night and we agreed that I'll go to my GP. I was going to go to him anyway when I reach 16 weeks. I get on well with him so I'll have no prob telling him how I feel. Also at least thats a whole month earlier than my 20 week scan at the hospital and if there's anything wrong, I'll know sooner. As well as that, on the same day I have to get my 20 week scan I have to get another colposcopy so I'll be crapping it over that anyway. It's amazing what you'd put yourself through for your babs!