Menu

Bloody Nanny

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

CocoBeans Posts: 841
Got an au pair for dd! She's been with us two months and she says she is leaving. Her visa is up, even though she told me she had another year. I spent two weeks training her before I went back to work. Total waste of time and I gave up dd place in crèche!!! Just as dd was growing attached.
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
That's such bad form of her. Will you be able to get another, maybe from an agency so you don't screwed on visas?
Yeah maybe but to be honest I might just try the crèche route. I just hope I can find a good one ASAP. Between a heavy workload and being 10 weeks pregnant. I could do without the stress. She must have known the whole time!
redgp Posts: 1681
I'd be furious! >:o( She must have known when her visa was expiring and that just sounds like an excuse to me.
granite Posts: 128
What were her working hours? Maybe she just didn't like minding a young baby...
katief Posts: 1900
To be fair, its a free world. If she wasnt happy then she had to look after her own needs. Why would you want someone to stay who isnt happy? I wouldnt, especially as the nature of the job is looking after your child. Its tough for au pairs. They work long hours, very little pay and a lot of the time they realise theyre better cutting their losses and going home.
Well I actually think it's a case that she just needed some work until her visa ran out. I know it's a free world but a bit more notice would have been nice. I have a place in creche for DD now.
redgp Posts: 1681
Glad to hear you got a place in the creche. Think you're right about her just needing the work. Of course she's entitled to leave but she'd have known her visa was going to expire before taking the job.
katief Posts: 1900
What were her working hours? And how much notice did she give you? Often agencies exploit young girls who are far from home and they know that theyre tied to that job for visa reasons I do sympathise with your situation and the training you put in, but she wasnt a nanny, she was an au pair. The two titles and professions are worlds apart.
Helpful, and interesting point as usual KatieF However she was a nanny not an Au Pair.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10