Body after baby...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Ficidy Posts: 1753
deleted
Delish Posts: 4176
Ok here is my experience. up until I was about 24 ish I had a pretty good bod (if I say so myself :o0 ), always active and busy so I stayed a nice trim size 12 (5 ft 7 1/2). Then I started working in an office and a bit of weight creeped on leaving me about a size 14. I put on about a stone since meeting h2b. Anyway when I got pregnant I was at my heaviest at 11 1/2 stone, I then lost a few lbs in the first few weeks of pregnancy and eventually by week 40 I weighed aprox 13 stone 4lbs. Within two weeks after having the baby I was back down to 12stone 1 or 2 lbs. Problem is we moved into my parents home after baby arrived as we are currently renovating our own home. There is always sh1tloads of biccies and bars and bad food in my parents house, so within 4 weeks I was back up to 12 stone 7 lbs. So once I had reached 6 week post partem I joined weight watchers and I'm doing it for the past six days and I've lost a couple of lbs so far. My ideal weight is around 10 stone, so I was aprox 1 1/2 stone over my ideal weight when I got pregnant in the first place. My body shape has not changed alot since having the baby. I carry weight in all the same places. The only change is that because the skin and muscles in your tummy are a little looser, any weight that you put on after having a baby can lodge there. So I think the key to keeping your trim tummy is to watch what you eat after the baby has arrived and once you get to 6 weeks post partem and if there is some weight there then exercise and eat healthily to get it off. Basically I have the same figure now (7 weeks after having baby) except I am a stone heavier than when I got preggers and I have some loose skin/muscles in the tummy. I'll be swimming over the next two months and hope to get down to 10 or 10 and a half stone. hth edited to add the rule of thumb is you will put on two stone when pregnant, one stone is baby, fluid etc and one stone is fat. So most women will have a stone of extra fat after having a baby.
roxychick Posts: 1802
I'm 5 pounds lighter than I was before I got pg. Only put on a stone whilst pg though. Lost 16 lbs at the start due to ms. Delighted that I've lost the weight so fast. Haven't been doing anything, just lucky
sandym Posts: 774
on my first baby the weight just fell off me and i went down to 8 and a half stone which was way to thin for me...by the time i got pregnant second time around i was 9 and half stone...went up to 11 and never really lost it afterwards..i tried hard but i think my body had just changed and no matter how much i walked etc it was very slow to fall off..i was just getting into it again when I got pregnant for the third time and i was 13 and a half stone on the day of delivery..ive now gotten down to 10 and half stone 4 months later but I have to admite it's hard..ive another stone to lose to get back to my healthy weight but its just not shifting at all...that said, I think im maturing as I get older and I'm at the stage where I'm accepting I'm not ever going to have the figure I had when I was 18 (I'm 26 by the way) and just get on with things...I've changed my wardrobe to suit my body shape and I'm really happy in myself even if I have those extra pounds on still.. I understand what you mean though when you say that no matter what your hubby or friends say about how great you look, if you're not happy in yourself it can affect you..you just need to learn to accpet that your body won't be the same after you have a baby the majority of the time and focus your energy on looking afer your baby and finding smoe clothes to disguise those bumpy bits that we all have and hate :o0 don't let it put you off having a baby..it's all worth it in the end...bumps, stretch marks and all
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
I haven't had a baby but I can tell you what I've learned from personal trainers, athletes and lots of mums that I know! Basically, the fitter you are BEFORE you get pregnant, the better. If you find it hard to eat well and exercise now, how much tougher will it be when your body has been through the mill and you've a baby to look after? If you're in the habit of exercising you can continue right throughout your pregnancy (obviously your doctor will advise). What you [i:28zclgoy]can't[/i:28zclgoy] do is begin an exercise regime while pregnant if you're not already used to it. If you can get into good habits pre-conception, you'll do yourself a huge favour. *)
Ficidy Posts: 1753
deleted
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
[quote="Ficidy":3qas0lsj]Thanks so much girls for all the great information and advice. I guess it just boils down to my insecurities and being worried that I'll look so disgusting that H2B will be turned off me and will leave. I know, if I rationalise things however, that this wouldn't happen as he loves me completely... I just need to find a way to deal with this before TTC. Great idea there Lois - think I'll start on a proper exercise regime for the next year including swimming (which I love) to get me on the right track... :thnk[/quote:3qas0lsj] Go for it! I know one woman who'd been running for years. She continued to jog three times a week until she was seven months gone (on the go-ahead from her doc) and was back to pre-pregnancy size within six months of giving birth without a day of dieting. A work colleague of mine had been going to the gym three times a week for ages, when she got pregnant she scaled down her workout but kept exercising. Again, she pretty much snapped back to her pre-pregnancy weight healthily. Obviously your body will change somewhat after a pregnancy, there's no doubt about it. But those bumps and lumps will have been well-earned! Getting into good habits now can only be beneficial to your health and wellbeing.
Cutey Pie Posts: 419
Ficidy - i was exactley like you when we were TTc - always wprrying about my weight. We even stopped TTC at one stage so i could try and shift as much weight as i could but it turned out i wanted a baby more. I am very much looking forword to going back to ww in the new year and i know that next year will be my year to get my weight down. I was doing ww while TTC but i wasnt whole heartidly doing ww cause in the back of my mind i keep thinking " sure what the hell i could be pregnant next month" I am eating healthily now and if and when i feel like chipper or pizza i have them and i dont feel one bit guilty as i know that i have the whole of next year to shift it. Try not to worry about it - easier said than done i know ! hope everything works out for you :lvs
arib Posts: 499
[quote:27l8ilcc]Thanks so much girls for all the great information and advice. I guess it just boils down to my insecurities and being worried that I'll look so disgusting that H2B will be turned off me and will leave. I know, if I rationalise things however, that this wouldn't happen as he loves me completely... I just need to find a way to deal with this before TTC. Great idea there Lois - think I'll start on a proper exercise regime for the next year including swimming (which I love) to get me on the right track... [/quote:27l8ilcc] Just to second what the other girls have said. Get fit before you get pregnant and you will be so glad you did. Excercise will also give you some confidence in your body as well that you don't have at the moment. You'll feel better about it for sure - endorphins etc and your clothes will fit better etc. Just try to stay real and clued in about when you are worrying about something small or which doesn't matter. Look after your health and yourself as best you can - at our age (I'm 33) we all have to start doing that anyway because we're not getting any younger unfortunately. A healthy lifestyle *will* pay off.