Menu

book to read to unborn baby!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

annonTTCer Posts: 532
hi everyone, ye'll get a good laugh out of this, in the last fortnight or so i've started reading to our baby, i wanted to go with something soothing so chose a nursery rhyme book. last night my DH said he'd read to the bobs but half way through nearly every ryhme he'd stop and say that it was too violent . i.e 3 blind mice, tom tom the pipers son, humpty dumpty! you see where i'm going! Sooooo, looking for some other reading suggestions! I must send him in search of "guess how much i love you" which i bought for DH years ago and is in the attic some place, anoy other ideas! i was also told the gruffalo, but read page 1 in easons and i know DH will say no chance (he's a big softie) thanks
safari girl Posts: 309
We started reading to babs too in the last couple of weeks and went for a Winnie The Pooh book. :-8
thanks!! just hope nobody walks into the house as i'm reading aloud to my belly!! :-8
dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
That's so sweet! Traditionally fairy tales were gruesome to introduce the big bad world to children in a safe way (sorry brain dead today can't phrase that in a more elequent way) but I can see why your DH wants something softer. Guess How Much I love you is a lovely suggestion. How about the Beatrix Potter books? Some of them have the farmer chasing them with a gun too though. When I babysat some of my favourites were The Tiger that came to Tea Scarlet Bean Dr Xargles book of Earthlets (a great giggle for the adults too) I might start doing this soon too.
My poor DH, he's so funny, he's got a hard time ahead if he thinks he can sensor out the bad stuff!! but as we were reading though the rhymes the majority has a sinister twist to them :yelrotflmaosmilie: but you're right, it probably is to prepare us for reality, but at not even 20 weeks pregnant we'll protect a little while longer! lol he's such a softie but sure thats why i married him :lvs those are some great ideas dilin, thanks!
jewellb Posts: 2389
Really showing my age here but I saw in marks and sparks yest a stand with oldies like the big enormous turnip and the elves and the shoe maker etc I LOVED these kind of books as a child and was thinking I must get them for babs but that really is such a lovely idea to read to baby!! I think I'll enjoy the books 2 :-)
dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
Here's a link with some suggestions. It says to read the same one over and over again so the baby gets used to the cadences. http://smartmomma.com/Baby/read_to_baby.htm
rubymoon Posts: 756
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit nuts????????
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
[quote="rubymoon":1tar0ys3]Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit nuts????????[/quote:1tar0ys3] :o0 :o0 :o0 No I think it's a bit nuts too but they are just excited Mammies!! It really doesn't matter what you read to them cause they can't understand you- it's your tone that's important.
Munchk Posts: 95
I love this idea but think i'd feel a bit silly doing it though saying that i might give it a go!! Any excuse to dig out my favourite childrens stories!!! I'm a Montessori Teacher so have lots :) Was looking through my collection for ones that might work but most of the ones i'd read to a class are probably too long but here are some of my favourites anyway! Most Julia Donaldson books are great the likes of the Gruffalon, Night Monkey Day Monkey, A squash and a Squeeze, Monkey Puzzle and the Snail and the Whale. Also I love the Magic Paintbrush but your hubbie might not!! Julia Donaldson is great because of the way she gets the words to flow together! Originally some of her stuff started out as childrens songs so there's great rhyming to them. I agree with Dilin, The Tiger who came to Tea by Judith Kerr is a lovely book and quite short too. If you've decided on a name (if you know the sex) you can swap the little girls name in the story for your LO's. I found a really old book of mine called Good night Owl! by Pat Hutchins it's very short and i used to read it to my niece when she was still in a cot, she loved it! Lots of different animal noises in it so you might seem a little silly at first lol The very lazy ladybird by Isobel Finn & Jack Tickle is a great book to read, it's quite fun and not to long! We're going on a bear Hunt is good too for the repetition and rhyming. Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae is also a lovely book to read and also has a nice flow to it. And if you and your husband want a good laugh get 'who's in the Loo by Jeanne Willis and Adrian Reynolds. It used to have my class in stitches!! Just some ideas!