Booking my first ever smear - very scared!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
I went to the doctor the other night to get a repeat prescription of my pill and she asked if I had ever had a smear. I said No and she said she wants me to have one before my next visit to renew my pill - so I have 6 months, but I may as well just get it out the way. I'm so nervous - I've never had one before and never had anything done 'down there' before. To be honest, it's not pain or discomfort I'm worried about - it's the indignity of laying there like that! :-8 :-8 :-8 She's promised me it will be a woman but I'm still going to be morto - that's why I've put if off for so long. Any advice girls?
Mrs Rocket Posts: 1824
Hi Don't worry about it,its actually o.k Doctors/nurses do smears all the time & are use to seeing "down there" Once your on the table,dont think about too much (hard I know) think of something that makes you feel good and it will be over and done in no time I do one every 6 months so well use to it by now
Bellisima Posts: 3583
It reallly is a good idea to do it mid way through your cycle - something to do with the positioning of your cervix. Anyway you'll be fine, you'll be delighted with yourself afterwards!
Kickasswife Posts: 4051
:o)ll
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Nothing to worry about at all Michelle. They only take a minute and the Nurse/Doctor is so used to it. Try not to think about it and relax. I'm with a male consultant for TTC issues and the amount of times I've had my legs up in stirrups for him- ya soon get over the embarrassment! :o0 :o0
LastRolo Posts: 6892
[quote="Columbo1":2paylao4]Nothing to worry about at all Michelle. They only take a minute and the Nurse/Doctor is so used to it. Try not to think about it and relax. I'm with a male consultant for TTC issues and the amount of times I've had my legs up in stirrups for him- ya soon get over the embarrassment! :o0 :o0[/quote:2paylao4] :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 I've never had one day either :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
[quote="Columbo1":3c2yfjma]Nothing to worry about at all Michelle. They only take a minute and the Nurse/Doctor is so used to it. Try not to think about it and relax. I'm with a male consultant for TTC issues and the amount of times I've had my legs up in stirrups for him - ya soon get over the embarrassment! :o0 :o0[/quote:3c2yfjma] Oh God, I think I'd just DIE right there on the table if a man wanted to do it! I suppose I just have to bite the bullet and go - wonder if I should have a wax first? :o0
lolabelle Posts: 3311
[quote="Columbo1":1jzhjls2]I'm with a male consultant for TTC issues and the amount of times I've had my legs up in stirrups for him- ya soon get over the embarrassment! :o0 :o0[/quote:1jzhjls2] :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: Its true. There's nothing to worry about. Its over in a few seconds and there is no pain at all. I'll tell you a story I heard a few years ago on the Ray D'Arcy show. A lady called in to say that she was going in for her very first smear after having 3 kids. She ended up running late the morning of the appointment and ran to her bathroom for a quick shower. She grabbed the washcloth and gave herself a good scrubbing. She got to the docs in time and when she put her feet up into the stirrups the doc said "Wow I know that people prepare for these in advance but you've gone all out for me today!!" She looked down and her pubic hair was full of GLITTER. Her daughters had been playing with glitter the day before and the glitter was still on the washcloth from the bath the night before. So remember .... they HAVE seen it all!! :o0
Bellisima Posts: 3583
My male doctor doesnt do them - I think a lot of them shy away from stuff like that - wouldnt bother me in the slightest though. Anyway I think more the likely it'll be a female nurse. Dont be worrying bout the waxing - they've seen it all :wv
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Michelle don't be a bit afraid, it's so quick. And they have seen it ALL before, you have nothing to be embarrassed about at all. In France they make you have one every year or they won't prescribe the pill, I was quaking in my boots going in for the first one. But the doctor know's how nervous you are, and will chat away to distract you. Seriously, it's like going to the dentist or something, they are totally nonchalant and matter of fact. It's difficult to do, but try and take nice deep breaths and relax yourself, because if you're tense, your vaginal muscles will tense up too and make it a bit more uncomfortable. But it is over with so quickly, I promise. Afterwards you'll be thinking "was that it?" If you're more comfortable having a wax beforehand, do - but you're not expected to or anything, so don't put the stress on yourself if you don't want to. Good luck!