Booking visit in Rotunda public - what happens please?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pag Posts: 633
Has anyone had a booking visit with Rotunda public recently? I need step by step instructions for what happens in booking visit in Rotunda public. Where do you go initially? What happens exactly in what order? Or even your experiences? I never had to go with DD as did the satellite clinic so all new to me. My blood pressure is already rising with the thought of having to go to hospital so need to be as prepared as I can be.
aperature Posts: 280
i had my booking visit in the potunda ( public) last friday and it went really well and wasn't as bad as i'd prepared myself for it to be. I had a DS in the rotunda a year and a half ago so i've been through it before. First of all, check in at outpatients dept. you will need your pps no. they ask for info like address, next of kin etc then you get your folder , which will have all you info in it for duration of preg. then you go to nurses station ( all signposted). they will give you sample bottle which you need to pee into ( toilets right there) . then they check urine and take your blood pressure. next you see the midwife. she will take full medical history and info on any past pregnancy. also weight,height, etc. very thorough.this was the longest part for me. next is blood sample. just one sample for all the usual tests. then last is doctor who will do quick scan to confirm dates and no of babies and briefly go through everything with you. she/he will give you date to see your gp and come back to hospital. then you're done! you go back to outpatiens , hand in your file, they give you next date to come in and thats it! the worst thing is the waiting , which can be quite long if they're busy. so bring a book or mag. and i would avoid bringing your DD as its really the last place for a child to be, although some people do and i feel so sorry for the child and parent! good luck!
pag Posts: 633
Thanks so much Aperature. Sounds ok when you describe it. Def had no plans to bring DD but was wondering about DH. He likes to attend appointments though they were v quick in satellite clinic so not sure about all the waiting for him in the hospital. I have mine next Monday after they messed up the appointments today so v stressed when I posted early. You have def calmed me. :thnk
aperature Posts: 280
no need to be stressed about it, but i was the same going in there, all guns blazing!! my DH didn't come with me, mostly because we had noone to mind DS...it would have been nice for him to see the scan; saying that though,its very quick and not alot to see at 12 wks! i was in there from 12 until 3pm so that'll give you an idea of the waiting around. the bigger scan is at 20 weeks ish. that one is defo worth having your DH with you for. the support is nice having someone with you but you'll be ok on your own aswell. everything is close together in one dept so theres no wandering all over the hospital getting lost!