Bottle Warmers?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

adelz Posts: 3088
Girls are these a necessity are they worth it or when would you use them? I have heard of making up the bottles all together and then giving it as babs needs it, but I was thinking of doing it the old fashion way and making as I need to or just before I know babs will be waking or wanting it when I get into routine etc etc....
lilytiger Posts: 536
I bought a Boots own brand one of these and TBH I probably won't bother using it the next time. I used to have it plugged in beside my bed for the 3am feed and would have to have the bottle in it for about 10 mins to get it up the temp that DS used to take the bottles. After a couple of months I just gave the bottle a quick blitz in the microwave and a good shake and the bottle warmer bit the dust! I was afraid of using the microwave to heat the bottle in the early days but 10/20 seconds in the microwave sure beat the 8-10 minutes in the bottle warmer! A lot of people don't even bother giving formula at a heated temp for that reason, if you're formula feeding would you not try giving it at room temp so save the hassle? However, if you're making them up as you need them then they take ages to cool to room temp so that might not be realistic either.
Thanks for that, so what do you do then, you make up the bottles or just put in the water boiling to formula and then let them stand all day?? Im lost sorry clueless first timer :innocent:
StellaBella Posts: 432
Hi, I have to say girlies, i hadn't bought a bottle warmer, and my dad went off to argos and bought me one when my little one was about 2 weeks old. and i am still using it to this day. I use it for her bottle in the morning and last at night, as I change her nappy before I feed her, and when her nappy is changed, I find her bottle is the perfect temp. I have the tommee tippee bottle warmer and i find it brilliant.
lilytiger Posts: 536
[quote="babsdel":15cbo6wo]Thanks for that, so what do you do then, you make up the bottles or just put in the water boiling to formula and then let them stand all day?? Im lost sorry clueless first timer :innocent:[/quote:15cbo6wo] I used to do what you're planning on doing, I used to make bottles up as I needed them, if I needed to cool them quickly I'd put them standing in a pot of cold water to bring them temp down for DS to drink them, otherwise I'd have it prepared in advance and it would be cooled enough for him for drink when i needed it. For the middle of the night feeds I used to use the readymade cartons and pour my amount into the bottle and either use the bottle warmer to heat that up but after a few weeks of this I just used to give it the blast of the microwave and a good shake to remove any heat spots. Don't get me wrong, lots of people find them great and as holygolightly said you can have it heating away while you do other things. I just found in the beginning that baby wakes screaming for bottle and it could be a few mins waiting on the bottle to heat. However, when your baby gets older they aren't waking and looking for feeding straight away so you get a bit of leeway before having to feed them. HTH!!
blueboots Posts: 833
I used the Avent one and to be honest i found it terrible. It would take AGES to heat the bottles. It was actually quicker to boil the kettle and leave the bottle standing in a jug to warm up. One thing that really annoyed me was a particular setting would heat the bottle up perfectly one time and then the next time the milk could be too hot O:| O:| not fun when you have a screaming newborn in the middle of the night. When number 2 comes along i will be giving bottles at room temp. I regret warming up bottles now becasue ds wont take them any other way so if im out and about and im using the cartons i still need to heat it... annoying.
GoldStar Posts: 775
We got an Avent one on DS. What a waste of €50. Way quicker to boil kettle and stand bottle in the water. I usually put the bottle in the water to heat while i'm changing her nappy, and it's warm enough to drink when we're done with that.
Thanks all, might not buy one so. What way do ye do your bottles so??? All at once or as you need them??? I like the idea of room temp cutting out the need for the night time warming, so might start as I mean to go on.
GoldStar Posts: 775
I make up all the bottles for the day in one go, and keep them in the fridge. This is the way I always did it for DS too. I'm not saying it's the right way, but it hasn't done my two any harm.
lucyloo32 Posts: 957
Im selling an Advent one in P&B Buy and Sell for a tenner :yelrotflmaosmilie: