Bounce on Birthing Ball if Baby is breech? Good or bad idea?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

spanish mum Posts: 2468
I dont know whether i should sit and bounce on my birthing ball with my baby in breech position? I have looked it up and some say yes, (could turn him) and some say no (as it could rock the bum into where the head should engage). As they aren´t familiar with birthing balls over here, i havent had a medical yes or no, so wondered if anyone had asked their midwifes and had an answer? I´d prefer to go on the medical say so, rather than google! :o0 Thanks, Spanish Bump (36wks 4days)
slinkyminx Posts: 650
Sorry, I don't the answer to this SB, but I'm curious to know the answer, just for future reference..... :wv
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
Well my baby is transverse and I have been told not to use it, but, that is also because I am waiting on a scan to check if the placenta is fully covering the cervix opening. I will know more after the 20th of Feb, so should be able to give you a proper answer then. FP
Bridezilla07 Posts: 2237
My babs is currently "frank breech" (at 33 weeks) which means he's bum first. I use my ball and am seeing my consultant on Weds. If he's still in that position, I am booking myself in for an accupuncture (moxa) session. Apparently is has a 70% success rate which are good odds. I just have a fear that if babs stays in this position, all of a sudden I'll get a c-section date which is the last thing I want...... Zilla07
thanks forgottenpassword & bridezilla. let me know how you get on. bridezilla - good luck at your appointment tomorrow - let me know how you go. i am wondering if mine is bum first as i feel kicks to the left (they ma be punches tho). Does your consultant think its ok to still be bouncing on the ball? i would be worried the bum would engage where the head should be, at this late stage?...
Hey Spanish Bump I'll update you tomorrow as I'm not seeing the consultant until this evening. I hope the little blighter has turned (although Mother's intuition tells me otherwise) Take care Zilla07
Likewise here Bridezilla. I really think it is still his head up here too! Fingers crossed for you this evening....... :lvs SB
McMummy Posts: 1041
Hopefully they'll turn for you ladies, DS didn't move until the day I was sitting in the doc's waiting room while they were deciding to give me a c-section as his head hadn't moved out of my side. The little trouble maker wanted to keep me in suspense until the last min :o0 I'm not sure if it's different for breach babies but with DS I could really feel him moving into the correct position.
:o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll My darling boy has turned and is ready for action (well, in a few weeks time)!! I had my first proud Mummy moment last night in the consultants room as he pointed it out. Spanish Bump, just to let you know, before I found out babs had turned, I asked the cons. about the ball and would it do more harm than good (i.e. lock him into a position get out of) and he said nope! I don't know if the ball helped - I would like to think it did! My last appt was 4 weeks ago and for the last 3 weeks I have been rotating my hips on the ball while watching telly and hey presto. Coincidence? Maybe but I am one happy Mammy to be!! My advice is to get a ball! Take care Zilla07
mcmummy - wow!! thats amazing!!! i hope mine doesnt keep me in suspense for that long! did you feel him turning? bridezilla - great news!!! :o)ll you must be sooo pleased!! well done! ..now, tomorrow, i´m getting my ball back out and am gonna get gyrating!!! cross your fingers for me ladies..... SB