Menu

Bouncing chairs: important considerations :)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sphynx Posts: 6795
Should they vibrate? Should they rock? Should they have bells and whistles all over them and play 10 different lullabies? Or just be plain upright chairs that babies can sit in and happily survey their surroundings? Am a bit befuddled by the choice out there! Must be at least 100 different types!!! :eek :eek :eek Can anyone recommend one in particular? My mum is starting to ask what she can buy the baby and I thougth that would be one nice thing for her to get but think she'd be v. confused if she had to pick one!
wibble Posts: 23
Hi, I'll just repeat what I was told by a Tony Kealy's employee a couple of years ago. He said that vibrating chairs don't give the child any incentive to entertain themselves by bouncing & so it's better to get a plain & simple one (he was trying to sell us a plain black baby bjorn one at the time). Having said that, we got one that did vibrate & sometimes, it's good to have something there to soothe the baby. As long as it's not used all the time & they don't become reliant on the vibrations to soothe them, I think it's good to have. Just my opinion, hope it's of some help. :thnk
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
My sister got a chair that rocked from side to side and frontways and backways and she thought it was ther best thing since sliced bread -UNTIL the child became so used to it he wouldnt sleep anywhere else and needed to be comforted to sleep all the time. I know what your getting is different but just be careful it doesnt het him into bad habits. Id just go with the plain one.
Thanks wibble! That makes sense. I did wonder about that myself. If they got used too used to the vibrations would they ever sleep in their non-vibrating cots? I suppose you can just use the vibrating function if they are v. unsettled and otherwise leave it off...
fancypants Posts: 453
Hi there, We have the Fisher Price kick and play and I find it great. To be honest they are all much the same - I know with the ones that swing, some parents say that whilst they are great to get baby off to sleep they can become dependent on being rocked to sleep - which isn't ideal. What I like about my one is that you can take off the arch with the music and lights etc and it is just a chair for her - sometimes in the evening I put her in it like that with the vibrations on and she loves to chill out - the vibrations are good I do think it calms them. also when they are really small teh lights etc can be too much for them - so it is nice you can take it off tehn too Anyway whichever one you go for they are invaluable - I remember the first time I put her in it and realised that I didn't have to hold her all the time!! - it was such a revelation to get my arms back after 6 weeks hope this helps
Thanks fancypants - didn't realize you could take that suff off - good to know. Think I'll have a look in the Argos catalogue..am pretty sure they have some Fisherprice ones in there...
fancypants Posts: 453
it is a blue one - she loves the lights and music now and will reach for the hanging things ( iykwim). Also with this one you can set it that she kicks the foot pads and the music and lights start and she loves that - gives her a massive surprise everytime!!!
speedy55 Posts: 512
we've been using this one and i can only sing its praises. i don't bother with the vibration part. babs just loves it and sits so happily watching me pottering about every day. its very sturdy and we bring it with us if we are going away for a day. http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... kfrom=name
NotHere Posts: 10273
speedy55, we've just bought that exact chair! The girl in the shop praised it and the fact that it converts to an infant chair, therefore can be used for a long time, was the winner for us. Delighted your little one likes it! We're going to buy a few bits and pieces whenever we get the chance, not too much, but at least it'll be easier on the pocket than getting them all at the one time.
twinssep Posts: 1242
id go for a gppd old fashioned bouncy chair we found them invaluable we got them in tk maxx they folded so we could bring them out with us they did vibrate and have an arch