Boutonnieres - Yes or No?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
H2B is himming and hawing over whether or not he wants a boutonniere - I think he's leaning towards not having one. Initially I was easygoing about it but I'm thinking now it might look a bit odd. The suits we are going for are very simple, not wedding-y at all and I'm thinking we need to wedding them up a bit. Anybody any opinions? Suits will be like this [img:37xkbboy]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXywnIRodrio_yef3TDwSs_dWEnu1r4aICNAN7UdEu4kSd_F8&t=1&usg=__CbSahlN2nYgCj9OLIrMZ6veZ9tw=[/img:37xkbboy] Potential boutonnieres like this [attachment=0:37xkbboy]Boutonnieres.JPG[/attachment:37xkbboy]
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Hi SSF - we didnt bother with these - I had all gerbera daisys and felt that gerbera buttonholes were too big of a flower iykwim so when I asked him he said he didnt want to wear a "flower" fair enough! He also had just a normal suit and tie and not one person commented on on the lack of them!
macattack Posts: 1617
It's up to your H2b at the end of the day whether or not he's comfortable with wearing one. I don't think they're essential but as you say they would help to make the suit more like a "wedding" suit. I don't think they'd be missed but if he doesn't want a buttonhole would he consider maybe having a hankerchief in the breast pocket to match your colour scheme or something along those lines?
[quote="macattack":1serxemx]It's up to your H2b at the end of the day whether or not he's comfortable with wearing one.[/quote:1serxemx] Yeah, thats the thing, I don't want to force it on him if he doesn't want one. I like the handkerchief idea but my BMs are also in black so it would have to ivory - would he look like a random businessman who wandered into the wedding? :o0
macattack Posts: 1617
Ivory would be lovely. I'd run the hankerchief idea past him and see what he thinks. It'll make him look more like a groom and it's more manly than flowers :o0
Found these two pictures online - I think I'd be happy with either of these (especially if H2B looked like the black guy - yum! :o0 ) [attachment=1:3sm1ejc2]suit, white trim.jpg[/attachment:3sm1ejc2] [attachment=0:3sm1ejc2]suit, white handkerchief.jpg[/attachment:3sm1ejc2]
MiniMeonBoard Posts: 6208
I LIKE THE HANKERCHIEFS - DIFFERENT. THE SUITS ARE LOVELY..
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
I LOVE the suits! I think actually that a flower might look a bit out of place with them? Like, the look of the suit is really sleek and sharp, and I think it would be hard to find a "sleek, sharp" flower, IYKWIM? Although I take your point about the "random businessman" thing :o0 I like boutonnieres myself, I think it's a nice festive touch, and would like my OH to have one. But if he hated it, I wouldn't push it - it's a small thing really, wouldn't want him to be uncomfortable.
[quote="cabbagehead":an45xj9x]I LOVE the suits! I think actually that a flower might look a bit out of place with them? Like, the look of the suit is really sleek and sharp, and I think it would be hard to find a "sleek, sharp" flower, IYKWIM?[/quote:an45xj9x] Yeah I totally get what you mean - that did occur to me too. I found this photo of a bridal party with no boutonnieres though and the BMs in black and it just looks a bit drab. With the bride fully kitted out in wedding clobber I think the groom should have something too. [img:an45xj9x]http://www.weddingobsession.com/wp-content/gallery/nathan-walker-photography/bride-groom-party-fun.jpg[/img:an45xj9x]
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
I see what you mean, it's a bit lacking in weddingy festiveness. But sure won't you be the perfect weddingy accessory for him? :lvs