Boy Baby Name - Opinions please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsAmy Posts: 983
Hey everyone, after being convinced I was having a girl, I had my gender scan on Saturday and turns out it's a boy! So much for mama's intuition! :-) I'd my girl name decided on and settled but hadn't given too much thought to boys names, so looking for opinions on this one! What I'm thinking of is Theodore, shortened to Teddy. I love the shortened version Theo but it is on the rise popularity-wise and I have a thing against uber-popular names... I think Teddy is sweet, but 1-2 people have criticised it big-style and said he'll be bullied unmercifully in school about it...I actually disagree with this part, but am interested in getting a few others thoughts!
mrsmcdreamy Posts: 880
I'm sorry to say mrsamy but I don't like it at all. It's too out there for me.
katiemomma Posts: 2690
I know 2 Teddys and don't think they were ever bullied for their name. One is actually Terrence but we all call him Teddy. The other is Ted. A bit of advice which I only followed my last pregnancy is to not tell anyone what names you have as they will criticise every name you pick. They may put you off names. I found this n my first pregnancy. So last time round I wouLd mention baby names I liked but had no ntention of picking. Or else just say I'd rather not say what names I have picked. That way when baby arrives and the text goes out about baby Teddy then nobody will say anything except good things usually.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
[quote="katiemomma":2om54egk] A bit of advice which I only followed my last pregnancy is to not tell anyone what names you have as they will criticise every name you pick.[/quote:2om54egk] +1, before baby is born people will have no problem telling you what they think of a name. Personally i wouldn't be a fan of Teddy but then i'm pretty traditional with names. My litmus test is can you see yourself shouting it across a busy playground or supermarket, if so then go for it!
Delphinium Posts: 3027
Absolutely agree with Katiemomma. My feeling on names is 1) If you really love it, go with it and 2) tell as few people as possible (preferably keep it to yourself and DH) as they will offer an opinion and possibly put you off - it is hard enough to choose a name you love. We told no-one last time, and same this time. Not even my hairdresser who asked me on Saturday! My thoughts on names like Theodore that have many short names or variants is that the name can grow with the child. I know people that were Jimmy in their youth, Jim in college and James in their professional life. Your lad may start out as Teddy, but depending on what the child himself prefers or as he goes through life Ted, Ed, Theo etc might suit his personality better. If you love the name, stick with it and don't bother asking what others think! That said, I wouldn't worry too much about teasing etc. If your last name is "Bear" I might advise against! :) But what will be will be and boys will find nicknames and reasons to tease each other regardless of how sensibly you name them.
MrsAmy Posts: 983
:-) thanks girls, good advice! :-) x
lovelybones Posts: 884
I love it! Just mentioned that name to my husband over the weekend as a contender for us if we have a boy. Its really growing on me more and more every time I hear it and it goes lovely with our surname. Its so hard to pick a name for a boy! I really like Ryan too but it is gone so popular.
Sassypants Posts: 4461
Love it. Would consider it myself if we go for number 2.
zeus Posts: 553
I personally dont like Teddy but i LOVE Ted, its a contender for boys name for me in my eyes. Just have to convince DH now! Think that is great advice about not sharing tho, everyone has an opinion! I think Im gonna leave the name game for a few more weeks here as DH & I have such different views on names! Hopefully I will wear him down when im more heavily pregnant :o0
Delphinium Posts: 3027
[quote="zeus":2qrvljsc]I personally dont like Teddy but i LOVE Ted, its a contender for boys name for me in my eyes. Just have to convince DH now! Think that is great advice about not sharing tho, everyone has an opinion! I think Im gonna leave the name game for a few more weeks here as DH & I have such different views on names! Hopefully I will wear him down when im more heavily pregnant :o0[/quote:2qrvljsc] In labour is usually a good time..... >:o) >:o)