Bra Measuring???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

scotswedding Posts: 2829
What's the story with adding 4 or 5 inches to your band measurement when getting measured?? Is this not the old way of doing it when bras weren't as elasticated? Was reading a mag at the weekend with a supposedly definitive guide and it said about adding the inches. I thought most places tell you not to now...??? I know that bra sizes vary as much as clothes sizes from shop to shop and style to style and so it's best to get measured when you're buying and of course to try on. It's just annoying me so want to see what the consensus is here....
ott Posts: 3920
I'm sure you're meant to add on the 4 inches - didn't know it was anything to non elastic bras. The cup size is based on the addition of those 4 inches too, isn't it?
[quote="ott":jwo9uuqv]I'm sure you're meant to add on the 4 inches - didn't know it was anything to non elastic bras. The cup size is based on the addition of those 4 inches too, isn't it?[/quote:jwo9uuqv] There's loads of sites that say "Many bra fitting guides and calculators will tell you to add four or five inches to your underbust measurement, but this is not correct". Then there's obviously loads of sites that tell you to... http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Bra-Size Am confused.... Am going to get measured soon in BT as there was a post on here previously with severals saying it was the best measuring service. Hopefully that will solve it for me but still want to see what others think...
ott Posts: 3920
That's mad - like 4 inches is a big difference! I'm so confused now too! I'm a 32 when I measure myself (and add on 4 inches) - I wouldn't fit into a size 28 bra even if it was available. No wonder there always telling us that 90% of us (or something like that) are wearing the wrong bra size!
[quote="ott":2ankculp]That's mad - like 4 inches is a big difference! I'm so confused now too! I'm a 32 when I measure myself (and add on 4 inches) - I wouldn't fit into a size 28 bra even if it was available. No wonder there always telling us that 90% of us (or something like that) are wearing the wrong bra size![/quote:2ankculp] Sorry!!! At least it's not just me then!! Am the same as you. 32. Thing is some 32 bras fit me and some don't. 36 generally are too loose so they don't offer any support/ lift. Maybe should be 34. It just doesn't make sense, does it...?!!?
katgirl Posts: 1258
ive been measured for a bra twice in my life and have to get done again soon and both times once in Dunnes and once in Marks i was measured with my Bra on ,now how can you get correct measurements with your bra on , if your in the wrong sized bra and squashed in surely this will distort the measurements and doenst give a clear picture of your size , so the million dollar question i want to know is , should you be measured with bra on or off??? (oh and both shops told me a different size)
Terri1 Posts: 1158
i always bring in variations of the size i think i am and get the woman to check me out. the last time i was in Marks they had no one to measure women so had to wing it myself! so expensive buying bras especially when you're a larger size!!!