Brakes

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Trooper Posts: 2155
Was driving home from work today and thought to myself my car was a bit funny. On the motorway i realised that my brakes were about 10% effective. :shock: I was giving a lift to one of my neighbours and kinda tried to remain calm but was inwardly shitting myself. Had to slow down using my clutch and was staying as far away from other cars as possible. Went straight to mechanic who said they were basically fucked. He then said "I see there's a warning light on". About a week ago the light that comes on when my handbrake is on started coming on sporadically and after a while it just remained permanently lit. I assumed that there was something wrong with the circuits, cause i knew what the light was for (handbrake!!)! maybe should have referred to manual!!! :oops: Typical girl. Let myself down a shed load. Felt like a tube. It's gonna cost a good bit. Could have bloody cried.
Anonymous Posts: 24542
Oh god that's a bit scary!! At least you noticed and are getting it fixed before anything really bad happened! Know what you mean about being a typical girl though - someone reversed into my car in work last week, its only a tiny dent and the poor girl was so upset about it, offering to pay etc. But I wasn't worried about it at all - you could hardly see it, so told her it was grand. But then today h2b saw it and was like "there's a huge dent in your car", explained the whole thing, and basically he told me I'm an idiot for not getting her to fix it, cause it devalues the car etc etc. Oh well, too late now
Got a lift into work today with a friend of H2Bs who went out of his way to help me. Wee pet. I'll have to get the train home though. Got into work and told my boss about my stupidity and she said i could work from home tomorrow!! Happy days!!! Car should be ready tomorrow evening!
[quote:3c0decm4]Oh god that's a bit scary!! At least you noticed and are getting it fixed before anything really bad happened! Know what you mean about being a typical girl though - someone reversed into my car in work last week, its only a tiny dent and the poor girl was so upset about it, offering to pay etc. But I wasn't worried about it at all - you could hardly see it, so told her it was grand. But then today h2b saw it and was like "there's a huge dent in your car", explained the whole thing, and basically he told me I'm an idiot for not getting her to fix it, cause it devalues the car etc etc. Oh well, too late now[/quote:3c0decm4] You should price getting it smoothed out, and if it's gonna cost a bit ask the girl to pay?
notlongnow Posts: 474
exact same thing happened to me recently- the handbrake light kept coming on but i ignored it too (thought it was some wiring glitch or something :oops: ) . only went to the mechanic coz my car kept cutting out!!! turns out the cutting out was a small issue compared to the potential brake failure!! he charged me €100 for the parts for the brakes and €200 for the labour!! RIP OFF!!! (mind u- he also had to clean out my engine to stop it cutting out).