Braxton Hicks

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

samcro Posts: 738
Just putting this out there for people's opinions. I've had BH since around week 14 and it was grand never a problem with them until maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago when they started to really kick in. I'm 29w today and by the sounds of it, I'm having BH of a person who is really 35-37w pregnant. They are so frequent and strong that they made me stop anything I'm doing which includes driving and I've learned to 'breathe' through them but they are so very uncomfortable and lately I've been breaking out in sweats with them. They last from about 20sec's up to 1min. The stronger ones last longer and I've pressure down below and from my lower back towards back passage... I had my 28w hospital appointment on Monday just gone and told them how bad it is but they said that everyone gets them at varying strengths etc but since that appointment they've kicked up a notch. I brought my 31w GP app forward to yesterday as I was really getting a bit worried about them and wanted to see if there was anything I could take or do (which is a big NO :o( ) but the GP has signed me off for 2 weeks to see if they ease at all while resting. I'm slightly worried that nobody else seems to be getting these at my stage. I've looked at the July Babies thread and they're experiencing similar BH to what I am.. I've always been measuring 1.5-2w ahead on all scans. Is this a sign I could go early at all? Are these incredibly strong BH a sign of anything? I'd love to just chill out but I'm getting so many per hour and they're waking me up out of my sleep that I just can never properly forget about them or relax.. Any opinions??
Daff Posts: 11644
They're not a sign you'll go early but a good sign that when you do go it'll be quicker! I've been geting them pretty bad but it's my second pregnancy. Saying that last time round I spent my feet up at a desk all day - now I spend my days running around after a 1 year old so I know why i'm getting them. Said it to GP and he told me to sit on couch and watch the Tennis! O:| yeh right!!! I also get woken up at night with them, I was even timing them the other night but after an hour they went away again. I'm 34 weeks, have been getting them since about 20 weeks or so but I'd surgery at 18 weeks and think my body is under strain since then. If in any doubt call the hospital to put your mind at ease.
momof3 Posts: 510
Suffering here also every evening. Mentioned to consultant on thurs , didn't seem too bothered and just told me to keep an eye out for other symptoms, back pain with them etc.. V early for me on this pregnancy also
samcro Posts: 738
Well after another bad night with them I rang the emergency room to see if there is anything I can take or do to help them and besides take paracetamol and get into a bath there is nothing :o( I've started getting a lot of pressure and back pain with them now. I'm still worried but everyone I talk to seems to (medical people) brush it off.. This is my first and it's horrible the way I've no idea what is normal or not and I can't stop myself from fretting..
Daff Posts: 11644
if you're that worried I'd go in. Once you're there they have to check you out. Don't describe them as Braxton Hichs, call them contractions. They'll hook you up on a trace and that will measure the contractions and they'll be able to tell by the intesity how bad they are. I'd definatley go in. I had to go in recently as LO was quiet for two days. It only takes an hour and will put your mind at rest.
momof3 Posts: 510
Agree with daff. No harm checking just incase they're real contractions, if they're not u'll not regret having them checked anyway.
candyfloss Posts: 704
I'd be gone in long go, you've done great to hang on this long. It's still very early days for you to be having such strong ones, def go in and tell them how much pain your in and dont even mention BH. I had 2 admissions at 33-34wks on DS with massive regular contractions and each time I was 1-2cm dilated but once I got in to hosp and got checked over they settled down, I got steroids the 1st time just in case and even though they could see on the monitor I was contracting very regularly they said they couldnt tell either if it was early labour or BH so they kept me in for 2 nights each time so 24 hrs after they settled. I went on to get to 40 weeks and he wasnt budging in the end. But no point getting more and more worked up about what its all about, just go in and ease your mind. Hope all goes ok