Breast feeding and bottle feeding

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Cania Posts: 38
Hi, im due in 7 weeks and im thinking about trying to breast feed but maybe use a bottle aswell if I need my husband to feed the baby if im gone out. What are the best bottles to use if I was planning on doing this or if I wanted to express what's the best type to get?
bluepolkadots Posts: 1237
The Medela Calma teat is the best for promoting/continuing with bfing. We had trouble in the early days latching and those teats were recommended to us by the midwives and we're still using them nearly a year later! You don't have to use Medela bottles with them, standard cheap ones Boots do fit the teat. We have a Medela Swing pump but I've used it very rarely as for the first few months we ended up hiring a hospital grade one -Medela Symphony. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy and birth when the time comes.
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
I bf and expressed from v early. Use tommee tippee bottles and he never had trouble switching. He just wanted food and didn't care where it came from! Used medela swing pump and found it great. Also gave a bottle of formula once a day at night in early days and again took that and breastmilk no bother.
lovelycuppatea Posts: 481
We started giving DS a bottle of expressed milk from about 8 weeks, once a week to get him used to it and give me a break. I wouldn't have been happy doing that much earlier as I would have been afraid it would have interfered with breastfeeding. We also used the Calma teat which works great. Unfortunately pumping didn't work for me despite buying a medela swing so he gets a bottle of formula once a week now as a compromise for mommy's sanity ;)
Hi, thanks for the reply's. Just wondering what formula you used?
Poppyseed Posts: 513
It's not recommended to pump before 6 weeks as it will interfere with your supply. If you can, try to exclusively BF for the first 5-6 weeks and then start expressing or giving formula. The first 6-8 weeks of BF can be difficult but once you turn that corner it's sooooo easy and is such a lovely, rewarding experience. We used the Tommee tippee closer to nature bottles and never had any problems going between breast and bottle - he rarely gets expressed milk in a bottle but when he does he takes it no bother. I have a medela swing breast pump. I got it on Amazon for much cheaper than the shops, just keep an eye on the prices as they fluctuate quite regularly. I can't help with formula recommendations. Best of luck!!
Wmm2011 Posts: 92
I used tommee tipp bottles,they were perfect. I had the tommee tippee electric pump on my first which was grand but invested in a medela swing on my second. I actually used both together so I could double pump,took a bit of co ordination but I got there! I used aptimil milk to top up,gave it from day one on both so that they wouldn't hate it after getting too used to breastmilk. Both got their first 3 feeds off me then 1 bottle of aptimil then 3 off me so on. I always gave 1 bottle a day just so they were used to it. I pumped on day 3 with both & did a lot of pumping but I seem to be the exception to the rule as I was expressing 12 ozs of milk in about 30 mins about 4 times a day so I never had to worry about my supply. I highly recommend combination feeding,I just knew that exclusively wouldn't have worked out for me & I'm so glad I did the combination. I know it's not for everyone but I really wish the nurses etc would suggest it a little more when breastfeeding isn't working & mothers are talking about giving up,I think so many mothers just feel its not the right way & end up giving up completely without trying the little top up. Obviously exclusive bf is better but I think combination feeding is a great middle ground. Anyway best of luck.x.
Thanks for the replys. I bought the Avent closer to nature bottles on the recommendation of the girl in the shop but i'm starting to regret it now after reading reviews on the net about them.
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Cania I used the Avent bottles and Ds never had a bother switching. I also introduced a bottle relatively early (after a couple of weeks) and didn't have a problem with supply. So I wouldn't necessarily rush back out and buy new bottles- wait and see what kind of baby you get as there are certain ones that would be better suited if baby has colic for example. My best advice would be do what works for you. If you want to breast feed do, if it's not working and you feel like giving up give it one more go and don't give up on a bad day or you'll drive yourself demented with guilt (just one of the many things you'll drive yourself guilty over by the way!!) I was told combination feeding wasn't the best & would diminish my supply- that wasn't the case for me. I was told I shouldn't use nipple shields for too long- I had to and they worked for me. I was told the bottle of formula I gave at night would confuse baby and again mess with my supply- I had a grand content baby who slept fine and woke in the mornings happy to take the breast. My point is do what works for you. All babies are different just like all Mammies are different and you just have to find your own pattern. I do agree that breast feeding gets easier with time but I had relatively few problems but still didn't love it the way others did. Similar to MrsBraxton I had a hungry baby who just wanted food and didn't really care where it came from!! Best of luck with it, enjoy the early weeks-even through the lack of sleep & everything else that goes with it it's a time that you don't get back again. Sorry for the long rambling post but best of luck with your impending arrival! (btw I'm adding a disclaimer that I'm not trying to start a bf'ing - V - bottle feeding thread or get anyone's back up with my post- I'm just laying out how things worked for me combination feeding)
brightlight Posts: 394
I agree with all vinoqueeno has said above. IMO you should deffo give breast feeding a go, there is an assumption it is more difficult/time consuming/ painful/ less sleep etc but that is not necessarily the case for everyone. I never had any pain/ failure to latch/ poor supply and I fed my first for 5 months, ds2 for 6 months and dd is 5 months and intend to keep going to at least 10 months this time. It is definitely something which, again only in my opinion, the longer you do the more you will grow to love. I felt it more of a chore the first few weeks of feeding my first whereas I absolutely loved feeding since then. If you do decide to supplement to have a break I used Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles and teats on all 3 without any nipple confusion. Best of luck with the birth and all that follows!!!