Breast feeding Question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Hiya, This may seem like I'm ahead of myself, but I've been wondering about this for ages. I plan on breast-feeding (if I can) for the first 3 or 4 months. Have a few day-long family functions coming up just after baby due, and read somewhere that it makes you leak, and SQUIRT in some cases! :eek Is this true???? Excuse my ignorance, but I never breast fed before, and so don't have a clue what to expect, just don't want to be going around and people thinking I have a plastic joke flower on me!!! :o0 :o0 Surely this isn't correct, otherwise you wouldn't be able leave house?!
kali Posts: 687
your boobs regulate themselves according to how often your baby feeds. If you miss more than 2 feeds in one day, your boobs fill up and often leak. You can get breast pads to soak this up (the advent and tommy tipee ones are great). If you're going to be away from your baby for the whole day you'll probably have to express or else spend the day in discomfort. Apologies for the graphics :o0
mammybean Posts: 10364
yes it is true. but you can get breast pads that protect.
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Mmmmm - sounds like milking a cow :o0 :o0 :o0
summer daisy Posts: 1336
Hi Moondesert I am breastfeeding at the moment and I know that everyone is different but YES you do leak. For me the problem is too much milk.. I leak all the time and the breast pads are useless for me. I also squirt and if the baby cries my top will be soaked in about 3 seconds. However, feeding the baby on demand means that often I have less milk. I also express milk now too to try and keep them empty (sorry if TMI). Finally I have a small towel down my bra to soak up any spills (plus I have a cleavage to rival Dolly Parton!!) and it seems to be working for me!! HTH Summer Daisy PS: Breast feeding is tough enough but I am glad I am trying it.. so much easier at night - no bottles to make up!!
jen2 Posts: 3106
Oh summer daisy you sound just like I was on my son. If ever I was out doing the weekly shop and there was a que, I would start thinking oh god he will need a feed, and Id start leaking lots. Also I remeber the first 2 or 3 nights I went out without him, I started leaking when I though about him. I used to just laugh about it. Jen2
Mrs Maternal Posts: 268
I have a question for summer daisy - is it painful ro express milk or just time consuming as i was thinking of breastfeeding also but hubby is not keen on me to do it - he must want to get up in middle of night to feed baby!!! :eek
summer daisy Posts: 1336
Mrs Maternal Nope it is not painful to express milk (it was the first time but that was because the baby was only 3 days old and my nipples were not that tough - now they are like rocks!!) . However it is time consuming and as I am feeding every 2.5 hours you really appreciate your time between feedings for other things (like sleep!). However I am expressing more now cos I am out and about a lot and it is convenient for Daddy to give her a bottle or me to feed her when I am in town etc.. Any other questions I would be delighted to help!! Summer Daisy!!!
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Hi Summer Daisy :wv , what's the hardest thing you find about breastfeeding? Is it the time it takes or the soreness of your nipples and trying to get baby to latch on and stuff? I read in my book (those blasted books drive me up the wall sometimes !!!) that you should not breast feed and bottle feed at the same time as baby gets 'confused' with the two different nipples? :eek
Hepburn Posts: 4081
I highly recommend the Lasinoh breast pads and the nipple cream...it's great. I remember the first time I went to a shopping centre about 2 weeks after my son was born, the sound of another baby crying set me off...leaking is all part of it I'm afraid. BTW this started for me a good few weeks before the baby was born. I would wake up with two wet patches...my husband thought it was hilarious!