Breast Feeding V's Bottle?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bright Star Posts: 756
Hey Girls, Just been thinking about this lately. Midwife at hospital adked me 2 weeks ago what my plan was, tbh i hadnt thought about it up until then. I have heard so many for and against both. I know BF is best, but what if it does work. I mean if you can provide enough milk everytime baby needs it. My sis wanted top BF when she had her DS but he wouldnt latch on and then when he did she could provide enough for him. She gave up after 3 weeks & went on bottle just wondering how many of you are planning on BF?? Another thing :-8 :-8 if you dont, what becomes of the milk in your breasts?? :-8 Do u still have to expel it? Sorry i just havent a clue!! :wv
sunsparks Posts: 2196
Hiya, I'm planning on giving it my best shot - I do think it's probably the best option IF you can do it, but formula is also a fantastic option if BF doesn't work for whatever reason. BF is supposed to be quite tough at the start, but does get easier after a while. I've got friends who BF and some who tried and couldn't and all the babies were in great health, so I don't necessarily agree that BF is the ONLY option, but I do think it's worth a try. Worth noting - health insurance (well certainly VHI) will cover some breast feeding counselling after baby is born, which I intend to use if I hit a hurdle. Hospital advice is good but because you're discharged before your milk often arrives in, you may not be able to practice what they preach. With regard to your question, I think when you don't BF, the milk gradually declines, but I think it can be uncomfortable for a while when your breasts are full, but as the milk isn't used they stop producing milk (so definitely don't expel or your breasts continue producing). HTH
Marpat Posts: 1784
On my little boy, I didn't even consider it. To be honest, I spent my pregnancy petrified of everything. I didn't dismiss it but my head was so full of other things, I never got around to thinking about it. I never had sore breasts after the birth or any form of leaking. I suppose they were never triggered into producing milk so they were the same as before I had the baby. This time, something in my head is making me want to try it. Out of curiosity and all of that. It is said even the first few days is worth it if it can be managed but I will like to get some support and not sure I long I want to stay in a hospital for. Was hoping for 12 hour stay so we'll see.
Crostini Posts: 1105
was at antinatal class on breastfeeding there last week. They said that your proper supply of milk doesn't really come in until 6 weeks after baby is born. so your sister giving up after 3 weeks, didn't really give her body enough time to start supplying larger amounts. The midwives were saying that a breastfed baby only needs 7mls of milk per feed starting off while a bottle fed baby will need 15mls per feed. but that breast fed babies need to be fed every 2 hours rather than every 4 for bottle fed. the less you breastfeed the more your milk will dry up. one of the ladies at the class said it's useful for nightfeeds in that you don't need to prepare bottles and sterilizers etc and is also useful if you are flying or somehting, you can just pop baby on to prevent babies ears popping. she did say though that the cons are breastfeeding in public and that you need to feed babs more often. Midwives also mentioned that at about 6 weeks, babs normally goes through a growth spurt which may mean that he will want to feed continuously for 24-48 hours and then will sleep the following day. the other mum confirmed this and said that you really need to be committed to breastfeeding if you want to be successful as it can be very difficult. i'm gonna try a mix feed approach. using both. if Bf doesn't work well then straight to bottle!
silíní Posts: 4219
It is extremely unlikely you won't have enough milk. Usually mums think they dont have enough but really they just haven't got the right advice and support to bf properly. They presume because baby is constantly feeding or because he/she is crying that there isnt enough, or they start topping up with bottles and that make supply decrease. Breastfeeding to be honest is something you have to be prepared to work hard at for the first few weeks. If you go into it with a 'wait and see' attitude it's unlikely you'll continue as it needs committment. The first few weeks are tough but then it's so easy and convenient! And fantastic to think that you are providing your baby with the best food for him/her in the most natural way possible!!! There have been several threads on this lately so i won't repeat it all again - ive put the links below. My best basic advice is to go to a bf class beforehand and also go to a local bf support group before the baby arrives, and go after as well.... It give you loads of helpful advice and support from the experts, who are bf counsellors and other bf mums! Also make sure your partner is on board. The key to bf is supply and demand. Newborns feed A LOT. Be prepared to have them sit on you feeding and make sure you call the midwife every time you are latching on in the first few days as getting the latch right is the most important thing!!! Have a look at the bf support part II thread on mums and kids! Also, the breastway.ie, kellymom.com, rollercoasters bf thread and read a good book about bf. The simplest and best is claire byam cook's one. XXXS Here are the links: http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... p?t=181967 http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... p?t=132814 http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... p?t=128574 http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... p?t=139804 http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... c&start=15
Sassy Sally Posts: 306
Hi there, I have been bf'ing for two months now, it was a personal decision I made for me & it's one that everyone needs to make for themselves & babies will thrive either way. Most people tend to focus on the negative so here's a few positives: Night feeds - as a previous poster mentioned, I just pop my LO on, she feeds and then dozes off, I don't wake up fully so as soon as she's finished I fall back asleep instantly. For that reason, I've slept well since she was born. Enjoyment - now that I'm up and running with the bf'ing I really enjoy it, the closeness & the knowledge that as in pregnancy I'm still nourishing my baby. Also it's the cure for anything, no matter what's up with my LO the boob always calms her down & comforts her. I always keep a carton of formula in the house in the event that I need to go out or would like a break. It's not recommended by the midwives but it gives me peace of mind & can't hurt !! Sassy Sally :wv
aston Posts: 4100
Quick question... how do you know if baby has had enough when you are BF? Does she just stop feeding or what happens? Am completely new to this too :wv
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
I really wanted to feed DD myself, but she wouldnt latch on, tried everything in the hospital with 3 different midwives and she took absolutely nothing for a day and a half which resulted in her vomiting iluminous green bile and the paed being called. At that stage I demanded a bottle but my advice would be go in with an open and positive mind that you will breastfeed if thats what you want [b:2lq1tzzl]BUT[/b:2lq1tzzl] if it doesnt go to plan its not the end of the world. My DD is thriving and Im just happy she's being fed and is such a contented baby!! *)
pattie Posts: 2379
I just wanted to add that BF'g can be made work even if things don't go according to plan at the start. My DD never latched on in the hospital and I was so devastated. I stopped trying to latch her on after 5 days and just pumped. Before long I was pumping enough for nearly 2 babies! However, I had a useless pump that took ages and wanted to give up twice, tried DD with formula and both times she was awake half the night crying. So when she was 9 weeks I started trying to latch her on again, before long we were BF'g and continued till she was 16 months. My advice is that if you persist with latching at the start and get help from a lactation consultant (and don't give up like I did) you will get there. You can get very mixed advice in the hospital and having an LC or a LLL leader to contact could be a lifesaver.
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
I agree with pattie in that sometimes the support in the hosp isn't great. I bf DS for 9 weeks, gave him 1 formula bottle and 1 expressed milk bottle a day from the start. I had an awful time in hosp as he wouldnt latch on. Having the support of a bf group you can attend/ask advise is invalubale at the start. BF does need alot of commitment at the start. You might find you are bf'ing all day, stuck to the sofa/bed. It does get easier. I suppose I didn't stick with it long enough, I just found I was going round in circles with DS. I will defo try longer this time.