Breast milk, but no breast feeding???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Hi, This may sound like a really dumb question, but here goes..... :-8 I really want my baby to have breastmilk, due to all the benefits it provides, however the "idea" of breastfeeding doesn't appeal really - I just can't imagine ever getting the hang of it! So I was wondering can you feed baby breast milk, solely by expressing it and bottle feeding? I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this before I mention anything to doctor, as I'm afarid they'll just say no. Is it possible? Has anyone done it? I just thought that maybe I would have more freedom as such when out and about with baby, as I dread the thought of trying to manage it while out in public! Any help appreciated. Thanks :thnk
grumpy Posts: 1280
You can do it, but its really, really hard work. I ended up doing it as ds didn't latch on properly and then had to be re-admitted to hospital because he wasn't getting rid of the jaundace. They asked me to express there so they could be sure he was getting enough. At first it was easy, but it got more difficult as he started needing more and more. I couldn't keep up with his demand and needed to supplement with formula from about 3 weeks. I kept going to 11 weeks, but at that stage I was only expressing enough for half a feed a day. I just stopped one day and I didn't even get any soreness, I think my supply just dried up. Its much more difficult for a pump to get milk out of your breasts than for a baby, so you probably will end up stuck to it for an hour or more just to get one feed, meaning that you're missing out on valuable sleeping time (not being funny, its really important to sleep as often as you can to heal in the early days). And you're supposed to get up every 2-3 hours at night to express too, which is where I went wrong.
[email protected] Posts: 492
Hi Desert moon, I have breastfed and expressed but have no idea about expressing only. There is a breastfeding consultant who runs classes before the birth approx 25 e and she is fabulous. Even if you still don't want to feed you could get advise from her. Her name is Nicola O Byrne and i think her website is www.breastfeedingsupport.ie If thats not it do a search on magicmum.ie Would you consider breastfeeding at home and giveing baby a bottle of formula when you are out? If you establish a routine your body might adjust.
jen2 Posts: 3106
Like ceegee i did both, but I found expressing to be harder work, so did very little of it. I think it would be harder to keep up with the babies demands. But fair play to you, for even thinking about it. Im sure even if your baby got a few weeks of breastmilk, it would be brilliant. I must say that I was nervous about breast feeding, and felt weird about it. I did not see my boobs as a mothering item, I saw they more in a sexual way ( if you understand what Im trying to say). I thought it would feel wrong to breast feed, but when I delivered the baby, and the nurse brought the baby to my breast to feed, it felt wonderful, and very natural. Plus my babies latched on really well. so it made it that bit easier. I was nothing like I expected, and it just felt right ( to my suprise). Jen2
chilledout Posts: 834
In the first few week the baby will suck at the breast for ages and this increases your supply. If you just express and don't let the baby suckle your supply will dry up after a while. I tried expressing for a bit as my nipples were very sore but I found it very time consuming and it was easier in the end to feed DS myself. You should try and give the breast feeding a go. Even a few days is a benefit to the baby. You might find you like it. If it doesn't work out you could express for a while but you won't get much sleep! You can get electric pumps that you can rent from Medicare that are supposed to be really good. Good luck!
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Thanks for all the replies girls. TBH I really do want to BF, but am so scared about it all, and really don't want it to be a huge lifestyle change (I know this may sound selfish). I think I'll try it at home, and see how I get on. But for going out in public, I'd be too embarrassed I think to BF, so will probably express for that. Is the support available at the hospital good? I mean do they help out with all the silly little questions I will have? I hope so, cos at the moment I'm starting to get stressed jusrt thinking about it :eek , and a friend said that it I stress it can make it harder as milk may not come in properly etc. God - I have to chill out a bit!
[email protected] Posts: 492
Oh Desertmoon i remember that feeling. Its natural to feel anxious and god its all so new to us. I found that it really depended on the Nurses on duty, the Nurses who had breastfed were brilliant and gave e lots of time. I had gone to a class with the breastfeeding consultant [b:vd44ap6a]Nicola O Byrne [/b:vd44ap6a]I mentioned her website earlier and she was brilliant and the info she gave was so helpful simple and i remebered it all. Just having that information helped make me less anxious too i think. I'm going to go to another class before this baba is born. My sis gave me a great book called "What to expect from breastfeding and what to do if you can't" the author was Clare something or other a double barrelled name. It was so easy to read and i kept it with me when i was feeding in Hospital. I saw the book in Easons recently. I totally understand your anxiety about feeding in public, i loved being able to feed my baby but never really felt comfortable in public. I bought loads of breastfeeding tops and would wear them when i would go out. H&M have a good range and are about 14-21 euro. Start looking for mother and baby rooms when you go into shopping centres, Boots have a great one in Liffey Valley, the staff let you in and there is a lovely comfy chair, in a little cubicle for privacy, nappy area with free nappies and creams etc and a bottle warmer too. Arm yourself with as much information before hand and don't put any pressure on yourself, decide that you will take it every feed at a time and every day at a time. xx
jen2 Posts: 3106
Ceegee thats for the tip on the Breast feeding tops in H&M, I must get a few. I found it hard to get tops to brestfeed in before, ended up wearing lots of shirts ( not great in summer). Desert Moon, like ceegee said it can be nerve raking the though of BF. But I found the nurses in the hospital fab. When they know its your first time ( remind them of it), they will check that the baby is suckling and laching on correctly. They will give you tips on how to get more comfy. When its your second or third, they check you once or twice to see if you remember, but thend to leave you alone then. It took me awhile to feel comfortable feeding in public. I had to bring DD to tennis lessons ( summer camp)in Terenure college for 2.5 hrs whe DS was about 4 weeks old. I would wait down there as weather was fab. I used to sit under a tree with my SIL, and feed the baby, on one was around but I got used feeding somewhere other then home. Plus my PIL and my paretns were around so much that I even got used to feeding infront of my FIL :o0 :o0 . In saying that always feel free to ask someone to leave the room, or feel free to go to another room yourself. Actually my DH did not mind who i fed in front of, or in public, but when his male friends were in the house and I was feeding, he never brought them into the room, he felt funny about " the lads" seeing me feed. :o0 :o0 :o0 Jen2
chilledout Posts: 834
That "What to expect when you're breastfeeding and what if you can't" Is written by Clare Byam-Cook. I have it hear in front of me! I also found Nicola O'Brien very good. She runs classes for pregnant women so they have all the information before the baby is born. Check out the site that Ceegee posted. It depends on what hospital you are in and how much time the midwives have. I'd say if you were private they would have more time for you (but I'm not sure). I was in the Coombe and they had a "lactation consultant" who had a class every day you could go to. Try not to stress about it, if it works, great, if not, its not the end of the world. I had problems at first but am really glad I kept going. I'm not looking forward to weaning DS as then starts all the sterilising and washing bottles etc! Try the Breast feeding forum on www.magicmum.com. i found the support there really helped me get through the tough times.