Breast pads - disposable or washable?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Delphinium Posts: 3027
Talking to a friend at the weekend, she blamed the self-adhesive disposable breast pads for giving her mastitis and recommended that I get the washable sort. She reckoned the disposables weren't as breathable and caused infection. Is there any truth in this? I'm already needing the damn things because I'm getting a bit of colostrum leakage already - it's not much but it can't be hygienic and it's hard to wash out.
Sydney Bristow Posts: 185
I found the washable ones grand once my supply had settled down. They really wouldn't have done me for the first couple of weeks though, I'd have needed to change them after every feed, so I'd have needed to buy tonnes of them!! I've never heard of disposables causing mastitis.
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
Are all disposable ones stick on? If so, do you have to actually stick them on for them to work? I have a mortal fear of stickers/plasters, etc....
WinterGal Posts: 835
[quote="mysteriousmise":1q7a6wjd]Are all disposable ones stick on? If so, do you have to actually stick them on for them to work? I have a mortal fear of stickers/plasters, etc....[/quote:1q7a6wjd] It's ok mysteriousmise, they stick to your bra and not to your skin. You could easily use 8 a day, so how many would you need by the time you washed and dried them? :ooh
[quote="WinterGal":avugny3d][quote="mysteriousmise":avugny3d]Are all disposable ones stick on? If so, do you have to actually stick them on for them to work? I have a mortal fear of stickers/plasters, etc....[/quote:avugny3d] It's ok mysteriousmise, they stick to your bra and not to your skin. [/quote:avugny3d] Oh, thank God. I was getting slightly freaked out there. Thanks for that!
Daff Posts: 11644
You might not need them so maybe buy one pack of disposable and dsee how it goes? I BF for 11.5 months and only used half a pack the whole time. Have the other half pack for this time - it's a recession :o0
Thank you! I thought I was going to need about 10 packs. One only, so. For the meantime, anyway. Lovemybaby, you're going to have to start charging me for advice!
Delphinium Posts: 3027
Am I the only one needing these at 23 weeks pregnant??? :eek
Daff Posts: 11644
[quote="mysteriousmise":1krps68a]Thank you! I thought I was going to need about 10 packs. One only, so. For the meantime, anyway. Lovemybaby, you're going to have to start charging me for advice![/quote:1krps68a] Don't worry I'm keeping count and will be sending out a detailed bill :o0 But you might end up needing loads too so dont' take my word on it. My friend went through loads of boxes of them but at least one box will tell you what you'll need and you can decide then if you need more.
pag Posts: 633
I had both and hated the disposable ones. I still have them for this time round. Much prefered the washable ones. That said you may prefer disposable so maybe see how you go. As with everything pregnancy and baby related, each is different and different things work for different people.